1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Official" Wimbledon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Thank you.

2. melock

melock Well-Known Member

It's just my opinion. Roddick is a pretty damn good player and I think he could play with those guys if all he did was play tennis and train. Maybe he does now, but a few years ago he was too busy filming commercials while Federer was on the court fine-tuning his game.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

He'll never play with them. He doesn't have the natural talent. Has nothing to do with the amount of time he practices, his commercials or banging Mandy Moore. He's not a natural tennis player. Federer and Nadal are.

Roddick is a damn good player, but Federer and Nadal are all-time greats, quite possibly the greatest grass court and the greatest clay court players of all-time.

See the difference?

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I am gutted he's not able to play. Another year, another non-GB winner at Wimbledon......

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Federer is an all-time great, but not yet for Nadal. Being amazing on one surface and good on the others don't make you an all-time great . Even if he won 8-10 French Opens in a row he still wouldn't be an all-time great if he couldn't win the Aussie, Wimbledon or the U.S. Open.

It just seemed to me that Roddick could have been a multiple Grand Slam champion except for the French, where he's too slow to play well on, had he focused on tennis and not "other" things.

Once again just how I see things.

6. standman

standman Member

Sorry, Roddick is a great personality (as post McEnroe-Connors players go) and ambassador for the game, but he's not even close to Federer when it comes to true talent. I remember when Federer was coming up and tennis people in the know would make a point of stopping to see his matches because he already had the best hands in the game since McEnroe. When his head caught up to his talent it was all over.

Roddick has a big serve (though not as consistent and big as Sampras) and he is the best we've got in this country. He may come out and win one or two more majors, but as long as Federer has his head right with ball it's going to be damn near impossible to do it consistently. At least Roddick has one major to his credit, there are a lot of guys in this era that won't be able to say that.

7. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

If I had to bet in Vegas on this one, I would take the field rather than Federer. I think Federer is going to lose, but just don't know to who.

8. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Women's side: taking Venus or Serena Williams (leaning towards Venus)
    Men's: Federer seems like the odds on favourite but something's telling me he may not win this year.
    However, that being said Nadal and Roddick have yet to prove themselves on grass by winning it, so I pick Federer.

We know one thing for sure, a Canadian will not win a women's or men's title. ::)

9. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

You know you like it, OD-Line!

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'm with O-Dead. This nickname trend is horrible.

11. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I just don't see it. I don't even see him stressing to make the finals much less worried about losing. The new wave of good grass court players hasn't arrived yet and the last group is older and not in his league. He's got at least three more years of easy roads. A Richard Krajicek-like run is possible I suppose, but I don't see any player on the men's side capable of doing it.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

If Federer loses, it will be because he's gotten injured, not because anybody beats him.

Although I am holding out hope for Marat in the third round . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted