1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Official" Wimbledon Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

The big grass tournament starts tomorrow. R-Fed and Amelie are the defending champs.

ESPN is going with the "why hasn't Henin" won yet card and I say it's because the fast surface benefits the power players more these days. She doesn't have the time to set up her wide angle shots like she can on the slower clay surface. I don't think she'll win this time either and get knocked out in the semifinals.

My picks are R-Fed for his fifth and Sharapova for her second.

A couple of questions for those interested:

How many sets with R-Fed drop in the fortnight? (I'm guessing two)

Does Nadal reach the finals again? (No, quarters)

How far does Roddick advance? (Semifinals, he's pretty good on grass).

Any other Americans got a shot? (Serena? Blake? etc.)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't think Sharapova wins. She's having serve issues. I think Serena manhandles her.

Roddick gets as far as Federer, unless my man Marat gets Roger early (won't happen, but a girl can dream).

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

R-Fed? Are you serious. Is that a widely used nickname? I wish that athletes had better nicknames these days. Most, like this one and A-Rod and D-Lee and J-Roll. Lame.

Federer is making the men's draw boring. He's just to dominant. I'd love to see Serena Williams make a good run in the women's draw.

4. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Roddick loses to Federer, wherever that is. Federer wins.

I'm going with Serena to win it.

5. nafselon

No it's not a widely used nickname. I actually use it due to the silliness of the first letter of first name/first three letters of last name fad.

6. nafselon

Roddick is slated to meet Federer in the semifinals, hence why I said he'd make the semifinals :).

SC: Safin hasn't done well on grass traditionally right? I can't remember, he's so up-and-down from slam to slam.

7. sportschick

He's not a grass court guy, but you never know with him. He can play out of his mind and win just about any Slam, or he can dick around and lose in the second round on one of his best surfaces.

Grass is his worst surface, and I think he meets Roger in the third (I think), so he'll be gone by then if not earlier.

But like I said, a girl can dream :D

8. John

John Well-Known Member

With his head on straight, Safin can win any tournament on any surface. Always could.

Federer ties Borg with his fifth straight title, beating Nadal in the final -- and proving that men's tennis is purely a two-man race. On the women's side, I pick Serena to win every major she enters. Henin is on enough of a roll, however, that this might be her year.

9. standman

standman Member

I like Serena in the women's draw, fitness is not a factor at Wimbledon and her serve wins her plenty of free points. You have to go with Fed in the men's draw. Roddick plays well on grass, but I still think he lacks the return to beat Federer on grass.

10. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And the desire, heart and talent.

11. sportschick

He lacks the talent. Not the desire or the heart. He's not half the tennis player Federer or Nadal is, yet he's ranked in the top 3. Yep, he obviously has no heart. Jesus.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

[dork]
    Our office had a seven-person Wimbledon draft, each person taking three men and three women. I got to pick first, so I took Federer (duh). But my second pick, 14th overall, was Andy Murray. Doh!
    [/dork]

Draft saved Draft deleted