1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 17, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thought Nacho Libre was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time. Of course, it helped that I was with some Napoleon-loving friends and we hollered back at the screen the whole time.

V for Vendetta was my favorite movie of the year so far.

Thank You for Smoking is my favorite satirical book; I thought the movie was lacking a bit. Eckhardt is NOT a leading man, despite what my S.O. says.

Ebert and Roeper both loved Lake House; Roeper called it one of the best movies of the year. Now Ebert's praise I can understand; he's hoping for a stem cell transplant from Keanu. But Roeper's?

I was one of 4 people who saw American Dreamz; I was one of 2 people who liked it. (Although the funniest line from the trailer was actually NOT in the movie!)

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree with that. I was worried by girlfriend wouldn't like it, but she loved it. Different from what I thought it might be like, but hilarious nevertheless.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'd agree completely after seeing it last night. I'd also add that Adrian Greiner is well on his way to being an A-list draw.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten out to the movies alot, but one movie the wife and I saw last week and agree that it was great -
    Click (Adam Sandler's new movie)
    Lots of great humor, but also a dramatic storyline in the humor. A reminder of where you need to put your priorities in life.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Just wondering, have you guys read the book? I know the old cliche about the movie not being as good as the book, but I couldn't stand how much they changed it.

Even little things, like they changed the boyfriend's name. The movie was still good but I would've liked it a lot more if I didn't read the book first.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Didn't read the book.

7. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Was wondering if anyone saw the HBO documentary called "BOFFO" that's aired a couple times over the last week.

Lots of A-list stars and big-name writers and directors talking about what goes into blockbusters as well as what goes wrong in bombs. Very interesting stuff. One of the interesting comments was from some studio head, who was talking about the role of technology and how that actually makes it more difficult to make a good film. He mentioned how they now could take the viewer anywhere at any point of history, so what story do you tell with it? He likened it to "imagine if I gave you a time machine. What do you do with it first?" Not the easiest decision in the world.

If you're a movie fan, it's worth watching.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

amazed that I do but I Loved it

Entourage boy sucked, though. significant other thought he was just eye candy for the girls

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I saw BOFFO and thought it was very interesting... I love when celebs are honest enough to look back and rip some of the decisions or bad movies they've made...

I still haven't seen Click, this is the first place where I've seen good things about it...

I thought Grenier was good in Devil Wears Prada. I'll be very curious how his career goes since he's already playing a movie star, while in real life, he's clearly not there yet.

I love Hathaway. My god, she's fucking hot...

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Took my daughter to see Cars. She loved it. I had difficulty staying awake, but that didn't necessarily have anything to do with the movie.

DaVinci Code was OK. Not great. If you can see it in a dollar theatre, probably worth it.

Superman Returns -- Saw it the other night, after I had read the complaints that it was too long, and I enjoyed it because I approached it from a special effects carnival ride attitude. The Jesus references weren't as noticeable to me as they were to other people.

I want to see The Devil Wears Prada because Anne Hathaway is f-ing hot. (I'm ashamed every time I think about The Princess Diaries ...) On a semi-related family humor note, my mother and my wife went to see it, and when mom was telling my dad what movie they were going to, his response was, "What the hell is Prada?"

Click was panned on another thread because of the knockoff of It's a Wonderful Life. I liked it OK. Would've like it better had I not taken my 12-year-old son to see it. Didn't check before hand and the language and innuendo was more than I wanted him to see and hear.

For some reason Jack Black annoys the hell out of me. I can't imagine I'll go see Nacho Libre.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

He wasn't supposed to be the enlightened male, yab. He took the role and did what was called for.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Weird. That's the same reason I saw Brokeback Mountain.

Draft saved Draft deleted