1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, Jun 17, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm not sure how I feel about Mr. and Mrs. Carrie Bradshaw (not the esteemed SportsJournalists.com poster) being in a SWC movie.

2. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Thank you for smoking wasnt a summer movie either. Why dont you bitch at those people too?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

After doing a little SWC research, because I'm a SWC geek, the movie comes out on July 2006 (released in the NYC June 28). A listing of the states and theaters the movie is playing at:

Strangers With Candy
    DATELOCATIONVENUE

California
    7/7/2006 Berkeley California 3 Landmark 7/7/2006 Encino Town Center/Fallbrook Laemmle 7/7/2006 Irvine University 6 Regal 7/7/2006 Los Angeles Sunset 5 Laemmle 7/7/2006 Pasadena Playhouse 7 Landmark 7/7/2006 San Francisco BRIDGE Landmark 7/7/2006 San Jose, CA Camera 7 Camera 7/7/2006 Santa Monica Nu-Wilshire Landmark
    Illinois
    7/7/2006 Chicago Century Landmark
    Minnesota
    7/7/2006 Minneapolis Lagoon/Uptown Landmark
    New Jersey
    7/7/2006 Montclair, NJ Clairidge Clearview 7/7/2006 Voorhees, NJ Ritz 16
    New York
    6/28/2006 New York Sunshine Landmark 6/28/2006 New York Chelsea Clearview
    Oregon
    7/7/2006 Portland, OR Cinema 21 IND
    Pennsylvania
    7/7/2006 Philadelphia Ritz Posel
    Washington
    7/7/2006 Seattle Varsity Landmark
    Washington D.C.
    7/7/2006 Washington D.C. E Street Landmark

http://www.strangerswithcandythemovie.com/home.html

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Non-blockbuster releases tend to sprawl out. I was giving them some slack. But a bitch slap may be in order.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Psyched to see X3, have heard good things about it.

Saw The DaVinci Code, the book is better.

My parents saw The Lake House and said it was completely, horribly awful. That's what they get for spending their money on a Keanu Reeves/Sandra Bullock thing that doesn't involve explosions.

6. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I saw both Nacho Libre & the Lake House over the weekend and they were both horrid.

7. grrlhack

grrlhack Member

I saw Cars this weekend at a drive-in. Now THAT was a cool experience. (Especially since the mosquitos weren't so bad!) I thought it was hilarious -- I don't care who you are, that's funny!
    Anyway, I missed out on a few of the funnier sound bites while sitting out of range of the car speakers. Overall, funny movie. I really haven't seen any of the others, but hopefully soon.

8. Dynasty99

Dynasty99 Member

Um. Check em out? Some are pretty awesome.

9. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Luke Wilson's understated "Oh no" as Uma flew through the ceiling had me rolling ... ;D

10. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Pretty down year for movies ... so far. I seem to say the same thing each year and get blown away by the great films of the fall and winter. I expect the same.

A notable five from 2006:

Hard Candy: Very well-acted, especially by Ellen Page (X-Men 3). Phrentic camera work of music-video veteran David Slade created an unsettling mood that held throughout.

Prairie Home Companion: Nice change of pace. The type of film that could carry itself to a Best Picture nomination come next February. Loved the aloofness of the always-reliable Kevin Kline.

Slither: Definition of campy fun. Stays inside its own pocket and doesn't mix genres. You can't watch it and not enjoy it.

Bubble: Stephen Soderbergh-helmed film is the epitome of independent film. Feels like you're watching a very well-directed home movie. Was released in theater and on DVD at the same time.

Inside Man: Spike Lee continues to show his relevance as a filmmaker. Not as good as 25th Hour or Summer of Sam, this film was great summer fare: Entertaining, taut, well-acted.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just saw The Devil Wears Prada, which was very, very good...

Anne Hathaway is absolutely gorgeous and Meryl Streep is great.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted