1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread... Are they all going to suck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 26, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Make a few old ladies cry"?

Further proof that not only are you an idiot, you're a condescending one as well.

"Summer movies" aren't all about blockbusters and some of us who can't wait for "Ocean's 13" also want to see a movie that actually makes you think. But your posts here and on the "drug testing" thread prove that you can't.

And this one will probably get an Academy Award nomination--I'm betting either for direction, screenplay or possibly Julie Christie as best actress.

When you grow up, come back and join the adults in the discussion.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I'd like to nominate Colin Meads, the All Blacks player of the Century.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Wow, I share the opinion of the majority of the Supreme Court Justices. I guess they should grow up as well?

Have you ever worked in a school? Just curious. Take a wild guess at what two of my college degrees deal with.

4. 93Devil

I actually have a good friend who played on the New Zealand junior national team. I knew I would uncover a rugby guy with that comment.

I loved the NFL vs rugby arguements we used to have.

The only Colin Meads I could find.

But this was pretty amazing

Who the fuck is #11?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

several of us are going to Pirates tomorrow...what should I bring besides a pillow for my butt?

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes.

Do they give out degrees for basketweaving and macrame?

I don't care about the Supreme Court decision since I'm a Canadian but if you want to give up your civil rights, go ahead.

And it's real easy with Fredo in power since he's trying really really hard to turn the US into a fascist state.

7. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Big No.11 is Jonah Lomu. He was once rumored to be talking with the Cowboys about becoming a running back, back in about 95-96. 6-5, built like a brick outhouse, but sadly he lost a decent amount of his career with a kidney ailment that weakened him physically.

That video of him running over the England full back was one of the most replayed highlights I've ever seen.

8. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Are we talking overall suckitude in the grand scheme of things or compared to each other. Summer movies are supposed to be fun, even if they're enjoyable bad, which is what Die Hard 4 and Transformers appear to be. Isn't that enough?

Well, for $8-10 a pop, probably not. But the question still stands.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Compared to each other.

Problem seems to be that Spiderman, Shrek and Pirates suck compared to their brethren.

My point is: so far all "summer movies" are sucking big time.

So, if you're an adult why not spend $12.00 on a real movie?

You know, the one you talk about and have conversations afterwards other than "it blowed up real good"

10. 93Devil

It just depends. Sometimes a summer movie is still a summer movie, but it is a great movie as well.

Jaws
    Star Wars
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Alien
    Saving Private Ryan
    Braveheart
    Sixth Sense

All were summer movie when they came out.

I do agree though that 75 percent of current films are crap, and 90 percent of them are not better than what I see on TV each week.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

JR, I find it truly amazing that you, of all people, had the chutzpah to use the term condescending to describe what somebody else wrote on this site.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with just wanting simple entertainment at the movies. I go for something with depth on occasion, too, but most of the time I just want to be entertained for a couple of hours.

Some of us aren't so concerned with proving to the world how grown up and adult we are to enjoy ourselves. But you go on trying to tell us all how much better you are. Maybe you'll at least manage to convince yourself.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Underdog Returns. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/underdog/

Draft saved Draft deleted