1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Summer Movie Thread... Are they all going to suck?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Mizzougrad96, May 26, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Not until I get my mail, Cliff.

If you really want specifics, I'll be glad to answer the question in PM's. It's about time to return this thread to movie discussions.

But if you are expecting only adult thought on here, that makes me wonder what board you have been reading.

2. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

The classic transforming sound I believe was tacked on just for those two trailers (Shrek, PoTC). However, according to various sources who saw bits and pieces of the movie, the sound is in the movie. I'm not expecting it much but if it's in there, it's going to rock.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Well, I think we can watch movies together, Jonesie. I saw "Away From Her" and really loved it. The adaption is extremely faithful to Munro's short story and all the actors (but especially Julie Christie and Gordon Pinsent) are wonderful. Maybe it's so good because it's set in winter? ;)

Count me as another vote for Branagh's "Henry V". Absolutely amazing acting and the direction is stunning, especially when you consider that Branagh was 28 and had never directed a film. I also recommend his "Much Ado about Nothing", one of the funniest and sexiest movies I have ever seen. Emma Thompson is still the only woman I would turn lesbian for (and Mr. Branagh's oeuvre has turned to shit since he dumped her).

For summer blockbusters I think the only one I'm truly looking forward to is the new Harry Potter - both movie and book.

And for the poster asking about "The Rocket", I really enjoyed it. It covered an era I didn't know much about and the hockey scenes were well done. Great performance by Roy Dupuis - one of Quebec's top stars but not as well known in the Anglophone community. In fact, Quebec has a very strong film industry, unlike the rest of Canada.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Just thought I'd put this thought on here in hopes of giving you all something worthwhile to see at the theater ....

It's called "Once"

See it. I hope you enjoy it. I know I'm already looking for the film's soundtrack.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

HC, I too am looking forward to Harry Potter V, even though they have removed quidditch from it.

6. Much ado.
    Mmmmmmmmmmm...Beckinsale.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

After watching the MTV awards last night and seeing a Michael Bay movie (Transformers) win an award, the answer is YES!.

Draft saved Draft deleted