1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Tour de France running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 30, 2006.

1. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't know that a breakaway would be any more dangerous in Paris than anywhere else in the race.

If I'm Pereiro, friends or not, I'm certainly taking a shot at Landis because I have nothing to lose by trying. Plus, Landis' team sucks and might not be capable of holding off an attack by Pereiro and his team.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I imagine Landis would get the support of the entire peloton if that happened.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Perhaps, though they may be tired of Americans winning by now.

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

No way. Floyd is one of the most popular riders in the world. If this was Lance going for No. 7, maybe. But even then, I think they'd uphold the "code of honor" within the peloton -- whatever that may be in this drug-fueled sport.

5. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Hooray for Floyd. Best Tour since '97 and '98, when it was also wide open in the pre-Lance era.

6. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Some of Lance's wins were damn good tours, though last year's sucked.

It will certainly be interesting to see what happens to Landis now.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend the best website to explain how the Tour de France works? What does the yellow jersey mean and, if it's a team sport, how come one guy wins?

Just looking to ease my curiosity a little bit.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

I imagine a rider with the gall to attack the yellow on the last day would be ostracized so Pereiro's options would be attack, win the Tour by less than 10 seconds, retire to a yurt the Pyrenees and live the rest of your life in anonymity because he surely wouldn't be welcomed anywhere in Europe. Again, it sucks.

The final stage in '89 was indeed a time trial on the Champs-Elysées and Lemond got it done. Funny, he beat an arrogant Frenchman and then they changed the Tour to have this ceremonial longer stage.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

OK, I'm not big on omens but I gotta think a Gary Smith could write a book around these:

1. When the Tour starts, Floyd's neighborhood is literally on fire.
    2. Three weeks later when the tour ends, the ground quakes in his neighborhood about 10 minutes later...(A 3.6 quake centered in the mountains he often trains in; a 3.6 quake is the largest felt in these parts in several years, I can say from first-hand experience).

http://www.data.scec.org/recenteqs/Maps/Los_Angeles.html

I guess I should also add the omen the Modaho dissed him (inadvertently) back when the thread started.

Glad to see a hometown boy do well. Now I wonder if they'll have a parade!

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My 4-year-old daughter asked one of those unanswerable questions that is really the only question I have about Le Tour: Why do they gave the winner a stuffed lion?

11. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Because one of the tour's main sponsors is Credit Lyonnais.

12. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Uh-oh

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060727/ap_on_sp_ot/cyc_floyd_landis;_ylt=AprAxiOEmOm7RdBSs8Q_UUoLMxIF;_ylu=X3oDMTA2Z2szazkxBHNlYwN0bQ--

Draft saved Draft deleted