1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Tour de France running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 30, 2006.

1. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Put me down for the speedy menonite Floyd Landis in the SJ Pool

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Now I love cats, but this is just obsessive.

And his wife's a witch.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Do we need a pool? Anyone want to volunteer and organize/keep track of everything?

We can give it another day since the first stage is just a simple 4-mile time trial and won't really have much bearing on the final outcome.

4. LiveStrong

LiveStrong Active Member

Vinokourov is out too.

I'm bummed about this whole thing. I went from excited to watch each day to wondering if I'll watch at all. It feels like watching replacement players in another sport.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

American interest should remain high, though, with several favorites from the states still in the running.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Shouldn't this be the Official SportsJournalists.com Tour de France pedaling thread?

7. Trucha

Trucha Member

Born and raised in Butte, spent a year in Whitefish, another couple in Salt Lake City and then moved to Belgium. Now spends nine months in Spain and three in Santa Rosa, Calif. His wife is heavily involved with an animal shelter.

Leipheimer has won two big races since the last Tour: the Deutschland Tour and Dauphine Libere. With a helmet on, he looks a lot like Armstrong; in fact, a German TV crew momentarily thought that's who they were filming when Leipheimer gave Ullrich a version of Lance's "Dead Elvis Grin" and took off for the summit in Austria. My money's on this guy ...

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

The Prologue is in the books. a 7.1k time trial.

These guys were moving. That 4-plus mile course was covered in a little more than 8 minutes. That's almost 50 MPH. :eek:

Zabriskie is no big surprise. He wore yellow for four days last year. And Hincapie appears to be making a statement that he's ready to emerge from Armstrong's shadow.

Tommorow, a mostly-flat 184.5k jaunt around the countryside near the German border

9. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Don't you mean about 30 mph?

Definitely a good start for the Americans.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Uhh, yeah. me no good at math.

Could have been an even better start had Landis been ready to start. His team spotted a small gash on his tire just before his turn to start the time trial and he had to swap the tire before he started. He lost about 10 seconds because he simply wasn't able to start when he was supposed to.

11. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Yeah -great start..just noticed that 3 of my fantsy picks incluiding Basso are out and I can't make changes!!!

12. WHA73

WHA73 Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted