1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Tour de France running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 30, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Edit: With apologies to TigerVols who started the thread, I present the customary running thread for a big event. First stage is tomorrow.

As I mentioned below, I predict Levi Leipheimer (claimed by Callifornia where he was born, Montana where he lives and Utah where he went to high school) will be the new American to root for. George Hincapie will do fine, but I think will struggle to pop out of Armstrong's shadow on the Discovery Channel team. David Zabriski might surprise a few people and was even a Yellow Jersey wearer laast year before a crash took him out of contention.

Cadel Evans of Australia is to be reckoned with, too.

Those are certainly not all of the favorites now that Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich have been given the boot for doping controversies. Should be a wide open race in many ways.

Will reader/viewer interest drop without Lance? and how far?

...so there's hope for you now!

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/tourdefrance2006/story/0,,1809681,00.html

With Ullrich and Basso now banned, I would make the argument that this is the biggest sports drugging scandal in the history of sport. It's like Jeff Gordon and Dale Earnhardt, Jr., being banned from the Daytona 500 for drinking moonshine. Yes, that big.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: Idaho, you better get to France! Tour favorites have been banned...

Now all he needs is a bike...
    anyone seen it?

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Lance can probably show up with a Schwinn Sidewinder at this point and get No. 8.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Basso and Ullrich! Wow, that's a massive shocker, but not totally unexpected. I can't imagine the French press and how it's reacting to this and trying to throw Armstrong into the mix.

I vote for Levi Leipheimer (sp) or George Hincapie.

Darkhorse is Zabriski.

And my new bike arrives at the shop tomorrow. It is, according to the manufacturer (which I completely believe ::) ), the same model and component setup Lance rode to his first Tour victory.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You think Hincapie has a shot, Modaho?

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Chi,

Right now, a lot of people have a good shot. Also look out for Cadel Evans out of Australia. He had a very good Tour of Switzerland and is a good sprinter. it's the climbs he will have trouble with.

Levi, George and Zabriski all have decent shots now with Basso and Ullrich out of the way.

I'll be tuning in to OLN every day.

One cool thing I'm doing is at the local rec center. The spinning class there is replicating and condensing each day's stage. So we'll spin for an hour 20 days in a row (except for Sundays and July 4 when there will be no spin classes) and everyone that completes the "Tour" wins something yellow at the end.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

As long as it's not a bag of urine, I'm sure you'll enjoy the prize. Have fun with the new bike, and you'll get to see it all the time since you're keeping it in the house this time. :D

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

More of the "everybody gets a trophy mentality" that is killing our country. :D

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I hope my wife doesn't get jealous when I park it next to the bed at night

10. Football_Bat

Ides, you'll be glad to know that a "spinner" in Deutschland means "a crazy person."

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

My father teaches German in high school, has a M.A. in German and lived in Deutschland for about four years. But I took only a year of the language in school and understand the language nur ein bitten.

He chuckled once when I told him I was going to spinning classes. Now I know why.

12. Football_Bat

it may deep in the hearta' for the obvious reasons. But WTF is one gonna run besides ESPYs in July?

Draft saved Draft deleted