1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Memorial Day cookout running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 27, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I have a few barbecue illiterates (read: Texans) coming over, so I figured I'd do a little something for them. ;)

2. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Did chicken and corn on the cob on the grill Saturday and turkeyburgers and and corn yesterday. I think the grill will get a rest today (it's a gas grill).
    For the corn on the cob do the rest of you wrap the corn in the husks or wrap the ears in foil?
    For veggies like onions, asparagus, peppers, etc. is the best way to lay them on foil with some olive oil and spices on the grates, wrap them completely in foil, or something else if I don't have a grilling basket.

3. three_bags_full

Sporadic showers are NOT helping my temperature management plan. :(

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The menu today: Tuna steaks and pork chops, cob corn, a unique chef salad someone else is bringing with bacon, eggs, spinach and scallions and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

After what I'd consider a crappy round of golf on Sunday, it'll play.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

Just got done eating the meal Mom fixed for all of us on the grill: Chicken, hamburgers, sausage, pork chops, and hot dogs, along with corn on the cob and red beans and rice.

6. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Our plans were canceled due to a sick host. So we improvised. Porterhouse on great special (4.99 per lb), salmon, grilled veggies in an Asian sauce. And a 1998 Stag's Leap Cab which was in the back of the wine fridge.

7. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm not personally cooking out, but I went to the local bar where I have karaoke today. They had free burgers and hot dogs for their regulars. Ironically enough, only a few people showed up for it.

8. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Had a great day swimming and picnic-ing with my parents, brother, sister and my 5 nieces & nephews (who are all under the age of 5).

Hot dogs, hamburgers, ribs, potato salad, corn on the cob, pasta salad, macaroni salad, and homemade chocolate chip cookies.

A perfect day.

9. three_bags_full

We had about 30 folks over, this evening. Fought through the flies and the heat and had a pretty damned good time. Had a ton of meat left over, and pretty much forced everyone to take it home with them.

I heard many complain about how full they were. That's my satisfaction.

10. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

Now that's my idea of improvising! I got an e-mail in the morning from the only person I had mentioned the work potluck to and he said he was bringing the Ballpark hot dogs and the grill so I quick ran out to Kroger's and got chicken wings, potato salad, baked beans, veggie tray and chocolate chip cookies so at least those of us stuck in at work had something to dull the pain.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

No cookout on Memorial Day out here in the desert ... but we had one hell of a cookout Sunday night. Mahi Mahi on the grill, seasoned with a soy-ginger marinade finished with a little mint. Un-freaking real. Served with grilled squash and zucchini, spicy rice and grilled whole sweet red onions that spent most of the day in a marinade of hot chili oil. All served with a couple of strong white wines. Best meal I've had in ages.

Draft saved Draft deleted