1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Memorial Day cookout running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 27, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Here shortly, mine will be headed to the great grillyard in the sky.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seriously, what do you do with them? Haul 'em to the curb for the trash? Take them to the dump? Leave them there?

3. pallister

pallister Guest

Poker tournament followed by cookout tomorrow. I prepared today for the cookout by picking up some supplies at World of Beer.

4. beanpole

beanpole Member

did the first of two cookouts today -- quartered a chicken, rubbed it with olive oil, mustard, garlic and honey. cooked for an hour on the charcoal grill with asparagus and corn. Tomorrow we're going to a friend's house for burgers and dogs.

I love this weekend.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Chicken, done properly on the grill, may even be better than steak.

6. pallister

pallister Guest

Chicken as good as steak. Makes me think of Bennihana's.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'm just going to disconnect my tank and throw the grill in the dumpster.

8. Just wrapped up some of Doc Weber's famous Cornell chicken.
    And two TurboDogs.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Short ribs, simmered in beer for 90 minutes, then basted with homemade barbecue sauce and grilled for about half an hour to crisp 'em up just right. Corn on the cob on the grill, rubbed with butter and lemon pepper. Onions, red peppers and yellow peppers grilled with just a bit of fresh garlic and Worcestershire sauce. A couple of Yuenglings and a bottle of Rosemount Shiraz McLaren Vale 2002. Yum.

And: Charcoal, seven days out of seven. Gas is for suburban wussies. :) I sent my gas grill to the landfill.

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Much of our staff -- the whole paper, not just sports -- is enjoying a cookout and and getting a little drunk, while our noble SE and I put out tomorrow's whopping four-page section. We may drop by for beers after we're done.

I'm also working tomorrow, but that's only because I go on vacation Thursday.

11. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Agreed.

12. Father in law got us a gas grill years ago but I never touched it in fear I'd blow us all up. Love charcoal.

Draft saved Draft deleted