1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Las Vegas gathering, April 1-April 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 18, 2006.

1. lono

lono Active Member

Re: Official SportsJournalists.com Las Vegas gathering, March 30-April 2, 2007

Jones:

You can be our tour guide. ;)

2. Maple Sugar

Maple Sugar Member

Jones strikes me as an Imperial Palace type of guy.

I was thinking about going to the official outing in Dallas next year, but I love Vegas too much to pass up this trip.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

More a Barbary Coast kind of guy, perhaps . . . speaking of an underrated property in an awesome location . . .

4. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

I went into the IP for the first time in 15 years on my last trip to Vegas. I don't think they'd emptied the ashtrays since my last visit. The table limits were a little less than Harrahs, where I was staying.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Both are rumored to be coming down within a couple of years for new developments.

Plus, they're putting in condos where Westward Ho! used to stand. And Trump condos are going up right behind the New Frontier. Things are creeping north on The Strip.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Quick question:

Since expense is a factor for virtually all over us, would it be better to just slide things two days from a Friday start to a Sunday start with a Tuesday checkout? The room rates drop significantly on Sunday night -- like about 50 percent less per room per night.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Current interest rates are too high for the current Frontier owner to go for broke.   A new face with beaucoup bucks needs
    to swoop down there, in order for something to happen . . .

Idaho -- not a bad thought -- but then you blow the Final Four.

8. Jones

Jones Active Member

I love the Coast. I like the Imperial Palace just fine. I like Binion's because of the history. I'll always play a little blackjack in O'Shea's.

You know, it all depends. If I'm just having a drink(s), playing a little blackjack or craps, I usually like the seedier places. If I'm settling in for a long poker session, I like something a little more upscale. Playing cards at the Wynn is a pleasure even if you take it hard in the ass.

Tour guide? No problem. Just know the ground rules: For every five stops, someone must die. It's like Stephen King's The Long Walk, only with more drinking.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Yes. the Final Four would be out, but the Championship game on Monday would still be part of the fun.

I'm just thinking on the thread and trying to consider the room rates for some of our prep writer board members. If we can drop the room rate from $179/night on a Saturday to $99 on a Sunday we may get more participation. And, of course, anyone wanting to show up on Friday and stay until Tuesday is more than welcome to do so.

Navigating the airport on Tuesday will be much less unpleasant than on a Monday, too.

10. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

The Sunday-Tuesday deal would work for me. It is WAY cheaper to do it that way. It might be harder for some to get the extra vacation day though.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

It's why I didn't walk with Jones. I didn't want to become a footnote.

And with the new weekend, plus considering the fact I could try to make Freelance come just to join me at a "Manilow: Music and Passion" show, I just might try to make this one.

12. Maple Sugar

Maple Sugar Member

You think? If the last outing is any indication by the end of the night he'll be an O'Shea's kind of guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted