1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official SJ.com Las Vegas gathering, April 1-April 3, 2007

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jul 18, 2006.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Re: Official SportsJournalists.com Las Vegas gathering, March 30-April 2, 2007

I'll second whoever spoke positively of Sahara. I was there earlier this year and liked the table-game limits and friendly craps dealers. Me and my siblings stayed at the Flamingo, but Sahara was easily accessible by the very-cool Monorail.

From what I've seen, Sahara also seems to be the kind of place that will have more reasonable rates on busy weekends while all the central strip joints have gone sky-high.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The Sahara is also just down the street from the always interesting Slots-O-Fun.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Interesting, if you're fascinated by the worst kind of white trash . . .

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Oh if it weren't for a mortgage and responsibilites, but I think Vegas will be a bit too much for me in March, especially coming on the heels of basketball season.

I am shooting for Dallas, though.

5. Inky_Wretch

Sometimes, it's nice to people watch in a spot where you're the best-dressed and best-looking person in the room. You can develop one hell of an inferiority complex spending all your time at Wynn, Hard Rock (especially on Rehab Sundays at the pool) and the other high-end joints.

The $1 craps table is always fun to donkey around on as well.

6. Jones

Jones Active Member

But no longer my beloved Westward Ho, which is now a hole in the ground next to Slots-O-Fun. God, I feel like crying everytime I think about it.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At Slots, most of us walking in alone would be exactly that. I'm happier at Wynn or The Palms. Know my place, and know
    that 99% of the 20somethings won't give me a second glance.

8. Inky_Wretch

I'll feel the same way when the Stardust is imploded. I've vowed never to stay at any of the four hotels going up in its place...

http://www.echelonresort.com/main.html

9. Jones

Jones Active Member

Echelon? Jesus Christ on a crutch, they can blow me.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's pretty far North Strip to suddenly strive for class, unless they blow up the Riv and Frontier and gentrify that entire sector
    of the Strip. Not holding my breath.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

Pretty soon, I won't ever leave downtown.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yes, indeed . . . there's nothing quite like the Western.

Draft saved Draft deleted