1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official running, no, make that official CYCLING 97th Tour de France thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jun 26, 2010.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Lance Lance Lance.

Can't have a TdF thread without him, so we might as well get it out of the way.

Lance Lance Lance.

Armstrong aside (although his finish in the Tour de Suisse was pretty impressive; must have cooked up a new batch in the lab! ;) ) my avatar gives away what I'm watching this year: The race for the green jersey. Cav's had a shaky year so far, to say the least, but controversy NOT involving doping is a good thing, IMO.

What are you looking for in the grandest of Grand Tours this year?

2. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Swiss Stunner Gives Lance Armstrong Hope for Tour de France Victory
    Peter Kogoy The Australian Has LANCE Armstrong found enough in his legs to win an unbelievable eighth Tour de France? [​IMG]

That's the clear message Armstrong sent around the world with his shocking ride in the individual time trial at Liestal on the final day at the Tour of Switzerland which was won overall by Frank Schleck.

The lean Texan in the red and black livery of Radio Shack gave the stage and the race one mighty shake.

He went into the final day's 26.9km individual time trial in seventh place and trailling overnight leader, Dutchman Robert Gesink (Rabobank), by 55 seconds.

Armstrong's task was to find two seconds per kilomettre on Gesink for him to stand on the top step of the podium at a race he last won a decade ago when the American was at the height of his powers and on his way to the third of his seven Tour victories.
    http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/sport/swiss-summer-gives-lance-armstrong-hope-for-tour-de-france/story-e6frg7mf-1225882259763

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I hope Lance does well. We need something to fill pages until high school football gears back up in a few weeks.

4. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

I think Lance is too old. I hope Contador falls on his ass, literally. Cav can take the green if he figures out it take the intermediate sprints from time to time and not just stage wins to secure it.

5. Deeper_Background

Thankfully, it wont be over after the early stage team time trial like last year. Right? :)

6. TigerVols

I can guaran-damn-tee that!*

*there is no TTT this year.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Finally, a sport I care less about than the WNBA and a World Cup without the US there anymore.

8. Deeper_Background

I don't want anyone to get hurt, just an epic duel between Father Time, Levi and Contador.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Official running, no, make that official CYCLING 97th Tour de France thread.

You cared enough to click on the thread and post. That's more than I care for the WNBA or even the NBA.

10. Shoeless Joe

Thank you.

11. Shoeless Joe

I would keep my eye on Andy Schleck to win it this year.
    He finished second last year and has another year's experience under his belt.
    I see one of two things happening, though. It was announced today that both Schleck brothers were leaving the team at the end of the year. Saxo Bank will either throw everything they've got behind him for a Tour win at the expense of Cancellara in the early stages OR Riis will say screw you guys, we'll go for stage wins with Cancellara and Haedo and and let you two do your own thing.

12. TigerVols

Is the Schleck thing official?

If so...gotta go with Cancellerara getting Riis' support.

Draft saved Draft deleted