1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Running NCAA/March Madness thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

NCAA getting cute with Minnesota playing Louisville in first round.

Songbird likes this.
  2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought it was weird when they announced they'll be reducing the shot clock to 15 seconds for that game.

Chef2 likes this.
  3. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Agreed. N.C. State also played a weak non-conference schedule.

4. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hurley might play Buffalo

I have a feeling if VCU won the A10 tourney, they would be a 6 seed and playing LSU.

I like coaches playing old teams.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Something tells me there could be a lot if upsets.
    I hope something is wrong, because as much as it gets people talking about it, I'm not sure the networks want to see a Final Four consisting of Liberty, St. Johns, Old Dominion, Yale.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Fat Jeff Jones would be a ratings bonanza for CBS, and I won’t listen to any arguments.

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

I should’ve specified the N.C. State non-conference schedule.

8. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The massive amount games that we can watch and access to information is amazing, but I still miss the excitement of opening up the special tournament section of the Monday USA Today.

Batman, TigerVols, CD Boogie and 2 others like this.
  9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Right, it was garbage. But that 9-9 in the ACC wasn't all that impressive either considering who the nine wins came against.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I hate it.

[/%#$@&$*BrucePearl]

Everybody loves upsets.

Until they sit through a 96-62 Duke dismantling of Saint Louis instead of, say, Virginia Tech or LSU in the Elite Eight.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  11. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Duke is going to dismantle everyone. If they stay healthy and engaged, they won’t have a single-digit game until Minneapolis, and maybe not even then.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The unstoppable juggernaut storyline always makes me nervous. Sure, sometimes that's just how the tournament plays out. But hardly always. I mean, there was a year in the '90s when John Wooden said nobody could beat Duke. I figured betting with him was a good idea. It wasn't.
    On the subject of upsets, it seems to me there's a reason why they might be popular in theory, but also drive down subsequent ratings for the Eight and Four rounds. The tourney is a gambling event, and a weird specific form of gambling -- the bracket. Upsets bust brackets, and once Joe and Jane Casual if That Fan are out of their office pools, they stop watching.

Draft saved Draft deleted