1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Royals suck thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I live in a place where there's good baseball. The moment that team loses, everyone reacts as if it's the end of the world. The moment someone gives up a couple runs and blows a lead, they manage to rip the team a new one because "it shouldn't happen." Or if for some reason the starter doesn't have it that day, "That's inexcusable. You should always get six innings from your starter."

At the start of the season, I told these people, "It could be worse. You could be a Royals fan." The guys didn't get it then, but I think they're starting to see what I mean now.

I have no sympathy for any other team this season. Royals trump all else.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

And the Cubs play everybody in the AL Central except Kansas City. Typical.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

My other favorite team? My birthplace, Pittsburgh, which sits 4.5 games behind the Cubs in last place in the NL Central.

When do the Steelers open training camp again?

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They won't be behind them in about two weeks.

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

The Pirates suck so bad, and everyone loves the Steelers so much, that the fact that Joey Porter didn't show up for a voluntary workout was cause for a first page story and general feelings of dismay from both the Post and the Trib.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Prediction: The Cubs will win more than the Royals.

Still trying to decide if the Marlins will accomplish the same feat.

7. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

May there be a pox on your house, and Tommy John surgery for all your starters......
    and as the Good Doctor said, suck it.
    Being a Cubs fan (like being a Royals fan) is all about loyalty. Why else would I still be a Cubs fan for going-on 17 years?
    You don't get it.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

My guess is that its comparable to having your girl put nipple clamps and pouring hot wax on you. You're pretty sure it hurts like holy hell, but if you ever get to climax, it might just make it better.

9. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Do the Royals have a shot at the all-time record for suckitude?

The 120 game mark set by the Mets in the 60s, which the Tigers almost broke when they lost 119 a few years ago.

10. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

The Royals will always have a shot, especially since they're fond of going on losing streaks with no end in sight. You have to be a consistent loser to break that mark, and the Royals are certainly that.

11. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Yes, they will break that mark. With room to spare. This team couldn't hold a six-run lead in the fucking first inning. It doesn't have talent, and more importantly, the testicles needed to win close games. If an opposing team goes up by 3, it's over. The youth movement is peppered with 30-something veterans nobody else would have. The only one they didn't get was Sammy Sosa.

The pitching staff is, in no particular order, old, un proven, washed up, fat and downright fucking terrible. There isn't a glimmer of hope to be found. Not one. Zack Grienke is apparently nuttier than squirrel shit. The best prospects are two-years away at least, but given this ownership's ineptitude, they'll either bust or be gone in 3 years. There is absolutely no reason to believe, despite the best efforts of Joe Posnanski, that this cloud is going to lift anytime in the next five years.

And despite all that I remain a fan. I do it because that's all you can do, and I'd rather smash my thumb with a hammer than switch root for someone else. Home teams are like family: you love who you're born with. Period.

12. Who Knows

Who Knows Member

Oh you have to remain a fan, even through the down years. If and when they ever get their act together, it makes that much better time to enjoy it all, that you stuck it through.

Draft saved Draft deleted