1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Royals suck thread...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by doubledown68, Apr 19, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

[​IMG]

2. hawker14

hawker14 Member

seen this thread for awhile now and decided to post. great city but...

yes, they do.

28th in MLB attendance and trying to bring in an nhl team ? sure, that'll work.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Fans love a winner and/or that new team smell. Besides, that 18,000-plus that fills half of Kauffman Stadium, that would put them in the top 11 in attendance in the NHL.

The Bucs are right there with the Royals in attendance, and they have a new stadium; Royals have the same one they've had since 1969. Last I checked, the Penguins still support an NHL team. And the Chiefs have sold out every game since like 1989. I'm guessing Kansas City would support the NHL team with no problems.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Nice work Royals fans! You start this thread, and your heroes go out and beat Mussina and the Yanks to snap their streak. All the team needed was a little tough love motivation.

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Heads are gonna roll in New York. Losing to the Royals? Ol' Georgie Boy can't be happy with that.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Keep checking. The concept of Pittsburgh in the NHL may be on a short clock.

7. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

The thing that's amazing is that 20-30 years ago, K.C. was a model franchise...great scouting organization, deep farm system, fine managers, lots of talent on the field. Teams were using them as example on how to get things done right. Now this...
    If you own a team and don't want to spend money or develop talent, then just sell the damn thing. Don't put garbage on the field and expect people to spend good money watching them lose.

8. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Here's the thing: KC is a great baseball town. When they caught lighting in a bottle in 2003, the city responded with gusto. But other than that, the franchise has been a disgrace in my formative years (I'm 27... only 6 in 1985).

Like others have said, KC was a model franchise in its heyday. It's still a model franchise in one respect: Kauffman Stadium opened in 1972, along with Arrowhead. It didn't go the cookie-cutter rout. 34 years later, the K still holds its own in terms of beauty with any stadium in the league.

Having said that, why should KC support this team in large numbers? Stupid people like me will. I try to get home once a summer during a homestand to catch a game or two. But this franchise has done nothing to go in the right direction. I can understand why people don't come out to watch famously horrendous baseball.

But dd68, you say, what about the Cubs? They've sucked since the advent of electricty, yet they still sell out Wrigley! So what? A little unrest at the gates might send a wakeup to the Tribune company. But they still sell beer at Wrigley, so Chicagoans will go.

The point is, if the Royals show an inkling of doing something right, KC will respond.

9. HoopsMcCann

exactly.

hell kansas city is such a baseball city that it knows a shit product when it sees it. and david glass has given us a shit product.

fuck david glass

10. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

August of 2003 ... First place Royals vs. first place Yankees at Kauffman Stadium. Royals win 11-8, tie a club record with 11 doubles. More than 40,000 fans were there, most of whom were Royals fans, for a Monday night game no less. That place was rocking that night. It gave every Royal fan an inkling of what the city will be like if the Royals are ever good again.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I was at that game as a fan and it was one of the greatest sporting moments of my life. When the K is rockin' with meaningful, late-season baseball being played on the field it's one of the best venues in sports.

KC isn't just a great baseball town, it's a great sports town. It's taken horrible season after horrible season, and now possibly the worst season ever, before fans stopped showing up. The town has Chiefs mania and it's crazy about college sports even though there are pro teams around. This is a place where indoor soccer was a big hit for years. Any major league franchise the settles in town and tries to do things the right way will be alright because if you compete people from the Kansas City area want to watch it. The problem is the Royals aren't even trying to compete anymore.

That said, I sure hope Dayton Moore takes the GM job. That would be a major step in the right direction for the Royals.

12. HoopsMcCann

i hope dayton moore takes the job only if glass lets him run the club. if not, well, it doesn't matter who is runnign the team. and i don't begrudge anyone who doesn't want to work for david glass

fuck david glass

Draft saved Draft deleted