1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official KU-MIZZOU Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Emm . . .Eye . . . . . Zee . . .

Nah, it just doesn't have the same "oomph" or "what the f$#% are they talking about?!?!?!" factor as "Rock, Chalk, etc."

It feels like Missouri is the lesser in this rivalry. They trumpet "longtime coach and Tigers legend Norm Stewart!!" while Kansas says "How many Final Fours did he coach a team to?"

Kansas has one of the more well-known (if indecipherable) college sports chants, while Missouri misspells the name of the home state.

Still, Missouri may have the karmic edge Saturday. They've got to win a Big 12 title in some sport at SOME point, right?

2. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You're as new to KU football as most other beaker fans... so just do what you want.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

It's always been a form of the same thing every year I can remember with the exception of a few surprises. If it isn't USC it's Florida. If it's not Florida it's Texas. If it's not Texas it's Oklahoma. If it's not Oklahoma it's Nebraska (used to be anyway). If it's not Nebraska it's Tennessee. If it's not Tennessee it's Michigan. If it's not Michigan it's Penn State. If it's not Penn State it's Florida State. If it's not Florida State it's Notre Dame. If it's not Notre Dame it's Georgia. If it's not Georgia it's Auburn. If it's not Auburn it's ... well, Alabama (sorry, Steve), but 'Bama's been a joke since the Stallings era (losing at home ... AT HOME! ... to Monroe?! Oy). Anyway, anyhoo, you know, it's the same basic programs every year doing the wild thing hopped up on funky cold medina.

Oh, there are surprises like West Virginia or BYU or Clemson or Virginia Tech or Arizona State or Wisconsin or Syracuse (10 years ago anyway) or Colorado or Stanford or UCLA or Iowa or Louisville. West Virginny by far has been the consistent lot for the last 10 years, so maybe the Mounts belong in the aforementioned group. Same with Hokie Hokie Hokie High! But the rest of these schools will shine for a year or three then fade back into a Wyomingesque vortex of darkness.

Then there are the desperados like Cincinnati (which is so close, so damn close, and that's why Saturday's game with West Virginny was so important; the Bearcats needed a win like that, but alas, there's next year) and Wake Forest and Rutgers and South Florida (which got tired of playing in diapers and in a blink graduated to low-level prominance) and Air Force and Arizona and New Mexico and Indiana and Illinois and Oregon State and Central Florida and East Carolina and Marshall, and, gulp, Virginia. These teams shock the world sometimes, but then they go out and lay 2 or 3 eggs (aigs?) in a row and poof!

This is pretty much what I've grown up with watching college football. Two teams I have yet to mention, Kansas and Mizzou, are probably in the group of desperados, always afterthoughts for the most part. The type of schools whose scores you see in the AP list of major football scores on a Sunday morning but never stop to ponder what may have happened in those games. Usually, much ado about nothing. Oh, Kansas rose to a 10-2 record 12 years ago, and Mizzou has enjoyed sniffs of success during my 25 years of watching college football.

But I never gave one iota of thought to the prospect that one day Kansas and Missouri would play the biggest -- and quite possibly -- the most exciting game of the year with national title implications. Kansas! Missouri! I have little knowledge of the vast hate-filled history between the programs, other than, well, they hate each other. The same way USC and UCLA hate each other. Or USC and Notre Dame hate each other. I've been lucky in one respect: I grew up with USC. Even when they stunk (and my definition of stink is anything less than a perfect season), it was still USC. Troy. Southern Cal. The Trojans! Tommy Trojan! Maroon and Gold. Everything about USC Football is magestic (except when they're 41-point faves to Stanford at home, AND LOSE). I remember Saturdays growing up where for some reason I'd be watching a Kansas game and think, "By God, who the hell wants to be a Kansas fan? They fucking suck!" That's probably why I was excited for the Jayhawks when they busted the 10-2 season and whomped UCLA in the Aloha Bowl in '95. You get so programmed to the same 15-20 programs winning that you can appreciate when one of the dregs rises up.

Kansas is no dreg this year. Kansas is No. 1 in my poll. The Bluebird Whose Cock Everybody is Sucking is quite simply devastating. For 5 weeks they didn't leave the Sunflower State and went 5-0. People discounted them. So they went out and won at Boulder and College Station and Stillwater. They could've folded against the pressure. They could've taken a hot Iowa State team lightly yet won by 38. Kansas hasn't been in this position where it MUST win to give itself a chance to play in the BCS title game. It's one thing to be a good one-loss team because you already have that one loss. But playing for perfection is a whole other beast the likes of Kansas ain't ever faced in my lifetime.

These Jayhawks don't scare easily, if at all. That's why watching them make this historic run is fun for someone who never has cared for them before. Mizzou? Ehh, who cares, really? A few SportsJournalists.commers, no doubt :D It's not that I don't care for Mizzou, which seems like a nice enough program. But in watching Kansas' rise to uber-fame and stardom in 2007, I'm awestruck like a boy seeing Hanukah lights for the first time.

Kansas. Effin' Kansas! But it's more than that right now:

KANSAS! MIZZOU!

KANSAS V. MIZZOU! BCS IMPLICATIONS!

NATIONAL SPOTLIGHT!

And the winner is ....

THE BLUE BLUE BIRD WHOSE COCK THE TIGERS WILL SUCK 58-30

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You are nuts, Xan.

I mean that as a compliment. I think.

5. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Don't be hating on the 1997 softball team's title. But yeah, it's about time Mizzou won a Big 12 title this century.

Mascot Olympics:
    http://videos.kansascity.com/vmix_hosted_apps/p/media?id=1567904

I won't give the results, but I will say Truman showed up, while Big Jay had a "scheduling conflict," so The Star went to a Kansas high school with a bird mascot and put a kU jersey on it.

If a Jayhawk won't show up to a mascot challenge, how can his team be expected to show up for the game?

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I will make you sing the rouser while you wear it, too.

Minnesota, hats off to thee, to our colors, true we shall ever be...

True story: When my brother, dad and I attended the 2002 NCAA final at the Xcel, our seats were right next to the Michigan band. To the credit of those kids, most of them did not scalp their tickets -- and they could have made some serious coin -- and showed up for the final with their instruments and played the Rouser before the game, despite the fact that the Gophers eliminated the Wolverines the day before.

Classy move, I thought.

7. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, my team's mascot is a bird, and my only experience with Missouri is my team's colossal chokejob in the Independence Bowl.

Any room left on that Jayhawk bandwagon?

8. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Well, the best way to make nice with your new fellow squawks is to bring the booze. Just don't forget any of the favorites:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Side sig photo changed to reflect new status.

BTW, that shirt says "Not everything is flat in Kansas."

10. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

I've been following KU football and hoops since the late 1960s — damned near 40 years.
    If you want to talk about fair weather football fans, you need go no farther than Manhattan, Kan. Those folks started coming out of the woodwork as soon as Bill Snyder got things rolling.
    And, what's lost on most people, is that this is very much the same KU team that was four plays away from being 10-2 last year instead of 6-6. This year, they know how to finish.

11. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

Back to football...

MU's defense hasn't been the same since Pig Brown got hurt. It has not looked good the last couple of weeks.

Now back to your regularly scheduled trash-talking...

12. Chef

Chef Active Member

Mustardbased; Room in the Nation, if you so desire.

Repeat the chant, ditch the Black and Yellow clothing for the week, and you're in.

Draft saved Draft deleted