1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official fantasy baseball sleeper thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes...she did....I think she loves him for reasons beyond baseball.

20th round is pretty late for Cuddyer. Nice pickup.

2. Msaint

Msaint Member

He might not be a sleeper due to his story/name being so well known, but I'd consider any guy still going for $1 in the last round in most mixed league drafts, with his pure talent, a sleeper. And I agree with you that Kendrick is not even close to being a sleeper, what with him being ranked just after Roberts and Cano for AL 2Bmen, 6th overall behind Utley/Roberts/Cano/Phillips/Weeks (and I'd argue he belongs at #4), and #62 on ESPN's top 100 keepers.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

If I'm missing a double-entendre, I apologize, but on face value, this is so right on.

Playing the end-game, and week-to-week transactions are what wins leagues.

Though you can certainly lose a league on draft/auction day.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

No double entendre. I mean that I have the NIAFL draft and my big money AL league coming up within the next nine days and I don't want to reveal my favorite sleepers for competitive advantages.

Hopefully, I get 'em all and can share. :D

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

what do you mean by "big-money"?

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

May have exaggerated slightly. By big money, I mean my only money league.

Still, the big prize is nothing to scoff at. Winner last year took home just shy of $800, which was half the pot.

Me, I was in first place for the first half before petering out and finishing fifth, which gives me the first pick in the reserve draft. Yippee.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agree. I'm keeping Coffey in an NL-only keeper league, precisely for that reason.

Agree. I'm fortunate that I snagged him while still a prospect in my AL-only keeper league.

Damn you, BYH! Damn you! You know that's my boy! Breakout year, I'm telling you. Really. Any season now.

8. outofplace

Kinda hard to be a breakout fifth outfielder, isn't it? :)

9. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

With luck, he could be a poor man's Jason Tyner.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To explain, I've always been a sucker for guys who can steal bases. My favorites growing up were Ricky Henderson, Vince Coleman, Willie Wilson, etc. Then I followed guys like Kenny Lofton, Tom Goodwin, Otis Nixon, etc.

So when I see someone as fast as Gathright on the base paths, I can't help but think he can be so much more -- and I was a fan before he was traded to the Royals, when the Devil Rays constantly toyed with him. At the very least, Gathright could become Juan Pierre or Scott Podsednik in the near future. I have still faith in the guy.

11. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Sorry, Oz. No chance.

Gathright is like Milt Cuyler, except waaaaay shittier.

12. outofplace

The difference is the only hitter on that list who was nearly as shitty as Gaithright is Goodwin, but even Goodwin was better.

Draft saved Draft deleted