1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official fantasy baseball sleeper thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bullwinkle, Mar 20, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Only question with him is if
    Looks like Tulowitzki has beaten out Barmes for the shortstop job with the Rockies, too.

Cuddyer might be too good to be considered a sleeper, but there are definitely leagues where most of the other owners haven't figured out how good he is yet.

2. shotglass

shotglass Guest

It's the kind of thinking that's fatal in a one-season fantasy league. I know, because I've done it.

They have to produce before you can consider them productive. A can't-miss prospect -- ANY can't-miss prospect -- is still going to have growing pains you can't afford. You need someone who's going to produce out of the gate.

3. outofplace

I agree to a point, but I think any 12-team league is deep enough to take Gordon. Hughes I wouldn't want unless it was a keeper league.

The thing is, sometimes you get so caught up in the young sleepers, you end up passing on proven veterans who are the kind of solid, boring picks that can help you win.

4. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

Ummmmm Ryan Garko is not a sleeper, unless you're planning on keeping him for many years. Guy won't be an everyday player, barring injury, for a couple more years, unless the Indians trade him at the deadline (if they're in contention).

5. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Shane Mack! [stepping out of time machine from mid-90s/]

[​IMG]

6. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Wilson Betemit. Guy's gonna finally play every day and seems to finally have figured it out. Wouldn't be surprised to see 30 jacks and 100 RBI.

7. outofplace

Good call. He's also eligible at shortstop and second base in some formats. He played 18 games at short and 10 at second base last year.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

A couple more snoozers...

Oilver Perez, P, Mets - Give him a real offense, some improved command (and keep him away from the laundry cart) he could approach 15 wins, 150-175 Ks.

Corey Hart, Brewers - If he's a starter, a legit 20/20 threat. Same could be said for Jeremy Hermida in Florida.

Edwin Encarnación, Reds - Wouldn't surprise me if he doubled last year's HR total and approached 100 RBIs.

Jonny Gomes, Devil Rays - Got him off the wavier wire. Could be a steal if his shoulder is right.

Ian Snell, Pirates - He won 14 games last year and has been lights out this spring.

Daniel Cabrera, Orioles - Seemed to find his way late in '06. Dude's got a gun.

Andrew McCutchen, Pirates - When the Buccos promote him up after Chris Duffy falls flat on his face -- or they're 30 games under, whatever comes first -- I'm sure as hell scooping him up. Grade A, Mizzou-certified fucking stud.

9. Alex Gordon as a sleeper makes me laugh.

Keep an eye on Dustin Hermanson. He might be the Reds' closer.

Sleepers: Russell Martin, Tom Gorzelanny, James Loney, Kei Igawa, Jose Vidro (because he'll be cheap), Morgan Ensberg (healthy again), Ian Kinsler, Orlando Hudson, Adrian Gonzalez, Nick Markakis.

10. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Jose Vidro reminds me an awful lot of Edgar Martinez. Edgar always had a nice bat but could never stay healthy, switched to DH in his early 30s and never looked back. It will be interesting to see how Vidro reacts now that he's not having to play the field.

11. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I don't want to jump the gun here, but I hear that Albert Pujols fella in St. Louis is a decent hitter. Puts the ball in play some, doesn't strike out much.

12. outofplace

Has a little pop, too. He could really do something.

Draft saved Draft deleted