1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official disputes authorship of NYT op-ed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 11, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Interesting story here about a column that ran in the NYT this week, ostensibly co-written by the South Sudan president and vice president, arguing for internal investigation of war atrocities instead of an agreed-upon international court. Both the president and the VP face possible action under such a court.

The only problem is the VP claims he had nothing to do with writing the column, and NYT admits it didn't verify his authorship before publishing.

Who wrote that op-ed? The New York Times isn’t sure.

Honestly, this reminds me of my days as a metro editor, when small-town political rivals (the WORST kind, by the way) would constantly try to use the newspaper to fight their stupid little wars, complete with "plants" on either side constantly trying to leak information or turn some side against some other.

The newspaper always has to be smarter than that. Always.

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YF just popped a boner.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dumb mistake. Likely submitted through a PR or lobbying firm working with the government.

But, I've long maintained that the Times is the best paper in America. (And, really, one of only three worth reading.)

It actually does real journalism and aspires to greatness, unlike 99% of newspapers.

I'm the one who's said -- and been mocked for it here -- that you are not an informed consumer of news if you don't read the Times on a daily basis.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Are you sure we weren't mocking you for something else?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You want to get into it?

Draft saved Draft deleted