1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OFFICIAL COLLEGE BOWL THREAD...Toby Keith is pissed.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Dec 2, 2012.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

From a few of the things I have read, it sounded like it was Liberty Bowl or nothing for Louisiana Tech. And, they would have been there, but the NIU situation screwed them up. It was a bit of a silly gamble to make if you're the AD. I guess I can understand wanting to get a little further than an hour away from home, but it ain't like Memphis is the greatest destination in the world. They would have had a nice crowd, low travel costs, and a bowl game...but it seems like the AD was a little greedy and the Independence played hardball.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

They screwed themselves over. Thought they were going to get an invite from the Liberty Bowl, so they told the Independence to wait (which the Independence didn't want to do, and ended up not doing). Then the BCS bids came out, Oklahoma got passed over for Northern Illinois, and everyone from the Big 12 got moved down a rung. That put Iowa State into La. Tech's spot in the Liberty Bowl, and by the time Tech realized what was happening it was too late to backtrack.
    I guess all the other bowls either had conference tie-ins or filled their spots by the time everything settled.
    So, in a span of three weeks, that's how Louisiana Tech goes from knocking on the door of a BCS berth to getting shut out completely.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8703346/louisiana-tech-bulldogs-9-3-go-bowl-game

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

The three that I listed were all at-large bids.

I don't know how you would look at those choices and think they were better than La Tech either in terms of draw or match-up.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

60% of BCS Top 10 is from the SEC.

Just sayin'.

5. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Maybe they didn't want to wait around until the last minute to get a team. Also, I think some bowl games might have secondary conference tie-ins. IE, if the Big East, ACC, or X conference team isn't available, they have a secondary tie-in with the MAC, CUSA, Sunbelt, whatever.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

This is another crazy aspect. You should get more than five minutes to make a bowl decision.

We play and wait all year long and then expect the entire 35-bowl lineup to come together in a couple of hours? That's worse than the basketball committee.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

La Tech sounds more like the AD didn't want any part of Monroe and bailed thinking that the Liberty Bowl was going to save him.

Now he gives Sonny Dykes cover when he gets the hell out of town.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Like I said uptopic: You're still in the WAC, the conference that will be out of the football business when the bowl season is over. You can't be choosy.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

The Liberty Bowl, especially, seems Byzantine that way. Last year they scuttled one of their primary tie-ins (C-USA) to invoke some odd clause that allowed them to take a Big East team. This year they have the Big 12 and C-USA, yet were apparently courting Louisiana Tech and some lower-tier SEC teams.
    I honestly have no idea what their actual, concrete tie-ins are.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Not so.

KSU and UO were supposed to play in 2011-12. UO asked KSU to move the series back a year to 12-13 so it could play LSU in JerryWorld in 2011. That did not work for KSU, so both teams decided to postpone it altogether. Mutual decision.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Big 12 and CUSA did not have a primary tie-ins with the Liberty Bowl but I believe the SEC did.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

At first I liked the conference automatic tie-ins. But what tends to happen is the same bowls get the same 2-3 teams over and over and over again. Fans and officials get tired of that city. Maybe we need to rotate this somewhat or go back to the old system where the bowls basically bid against one another for a desired team.

I realize there are a lot of teams involved. But how they manage to screw this up on an annual basis like clockwork just boggles my mind.

Draft saved Draft deleted