1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

OFFICIAL COLLEGE BOWL THREAD...Toby Keith is pissed.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dog eat dog world, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So basically they caved to pressure.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Karl Malone not thrilled with his alma mater skipping on the Independence Bowl.

I'm not sure how to isolate a tweet, so here is handle:
    https://twitter.com/TheDeliverer_32

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'll give you that one.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But has this not been the whole history of the BCS? Screwy matchup comes along, tweak the rules, then deal with the unintended consequences later?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Yep. Time to scrap the whole thing.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Much of that is because of the SEC tie-in and the fact that the SEC is limited to only two BCS berths. So Jerry World is certain to get a BCS-caliber representative. The Big 12 has been kind of top-heavy the last couple of years, too.

7. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

That shit show produced a better record than the ACC has, but continue.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

When the BCS majordomos, frightened by drum-beating from Sen. Orrin Hatch et al, put this litigation-proof system in place, they never dreamed of a scenario in which one of the unwashed -- in this case Northern Illinois -- would sneak in like this. They figured the gate-crasher would be Boise State or Utah or somebody with an outstanding non-conference resume. They never dreamed -- and I don't blame them -- that the computers could possibly like a team with no reputable non-conference wins.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

KState-Oregon is all the better because Bill Snyder will have to answer a bunch of questions about why he bitched out of the regular-season game, causing Oregon's OOC schedule to look very bad.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Geez, somebody in the AP is grumpy. From the story on Mississippi State and Northwestern getting invited to the Gator Bowl:

I know it's not our job to be cheerleaders or sell tickets, but good lord. That lede is downright depressing -- and a little misinformed, considering Mississippi State easily sold out its allotment when it went to Jacksonville two years ago, and for the Music City Bowl last year.

11. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Looking at the schedule, I don't see how La. Tech was a lower-level choice than some of the decisions made.

Iowa State for the Liberty?
    Bowling Green for the Military Bowl?
    Ball State for the Beef O'Brady?

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Well, that's all about what the Gator Bowl EVER gets, the No. 5 or 6 out of the SEC and 4 or 5 out of the Big Ten. They could change their tie-ins and get an ACC or Big East team.

Draft saved Draft deleted