1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Chipper Jones .400 watch

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What an awful way to get it. No sense of accomplishment whatsoever.

I'm just not a Chipper fan, and I never have been. Who names their kid Shea, really? But I respect him as a player. When he's in the lineup, he gives it his all. I'd vote him into Cooperstown no matter what hat he wears because he's that good of a player -- and from what I've seen and read, a stand-up guy, too. But I'm not in his corner for this run at .400.

2. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What a terrible way to get it, though.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The plate appearances are the requirement, but the lynchpin in this equation, I think, is how many times he walks. To this point, he really hasn't walked much, but it seems teams are starting to pitch around him more, which will continue until Teixeira gets hot. When he does, they'll have to ask themselves, "Do I want to pitch to a .400 hitter with one runner on, or a .300 hitter with two?" Even then I think they'll keep pitching around Chipper.

Vis-a-vis the walks, I'll reference my earlier thread, on which my thinking was dismissed as too early.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/56622/

4. novelist_wannabe

A quiz about .400 hitters ....

http://projects.ajc.com/quizzes/sports/braves/players-who-have-hit-400/

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I got six of 10 and was told it's "not .400, but close."

Liars.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I got nine of 10. I didn't know the Ted Williams one.

7. StevieNicks

StevieNicks Member

Sounds like you need to hit the batting cages.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Still way early. If he's at .400 at the start of August ...

9. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That tear in his right quadriceps that forced him to sit today won't be helpful at all.

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hopfully at his age that won't linger at all. I still can't believe he's hitting .420 right now...Absolutely amazing.

11. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

Chipper can't make it through a season totally healthy.

Had the toe and the hammy a few years back and minor stuff between June 06 through now. Since June 06 he's been on a tear though. Makes you wonder what this guys career looks like if he doesn't miss all that time with those injuries (and don't forget his would-be rookie season with an ACL tear).

12. novelist_wannabe

It's not helpful to the team, but in terms of his chances to hit .400, it probably is helpful. If he misses 10 games, that's about 16 hits he doesn't have to get.

Draft saved Draft deleted