1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official British Open thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 85bears, Jul 20, 2006.

1. The thing with the announcers and Tiger really comes down to the fact that the TV audience is much bigger when Tiger is involved and leading - and the announcers know it.

Tiger directly affects their pay - more viewers = more ad revenue = more money for announcers.

If I were an announcer - I'd be rooting for him too.

2. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Just listen for the sounds of hundreds of reporters either licking balls or moaning.

If it's the former, Tiger's wrapping up a victory. If it's the latter, he's pissing it away.

Over/under on the real winner's name being mentioned in the final hours: 10.

"And Ernie Els wins the British Open. Well, enough of that. Let's go down and talk to Tiger."

3. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Thanks!

4. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Woods now at -15, up by 3 after seven holes. Sergio struggling, both on the course (he's dropped to -9) and with his all-yellow outfit.

This looks like another Tiger runaway.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Good to see Sergio's not still afraid of Tiger or anything.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Think Tiger will do any cell phone camera commercials if he loses today?

Also, how 'bout DiMarco? I love this gutty little guy. If only he wasn't a Gator ...

7. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

So much for the runaway, at least for now.

At Augusta, I think you get kicked out if they catch you with a cell phone (on, anyway) on the course.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Tiger's running away with it, DeMarco's just drafting.

DeMarco jst sank a HUGE putt on 14 for par.
    DeMarco and Adam are playing very very well.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

a) it's DiMarco.

b) The cell phone shit is ridiculous, as is the fucking last group being put on the clock.

Let me be the first to say that I hope Ferguson includes both of those factors in his story, all of you assholes who hate he and Tiger be damned. One of the ABC guys (Zinger?) made the point that the R&A can't keep their crowd from disrupting play, then put the guys on the clock.

That's fucking ridiculous, and I hope Tiger roasts them for it.

10. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Tiger Woods is the No. 1 player in the world. He attracts the largest gallery anywhere he plays. Cell phone cameras? What's the problem? Deal with it!

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

DiMarco has played very well, by the way. No shame in his play at all.

12. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

You get the boot, and Hootie gives you a 20 minute speech on the days when you had to talk to the operator to place a local call.

And paging Tom Lehman... Chris DiMarco needs to be on the Ryder Cup. All the dude does is drain clutch 35-footers.

Draft saved Draft deleted