1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Billy Donovan watch thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 4, 2007.

?

What does Billy Donovan do?

1. Florida with a huge raise.

30 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Kentucky with a huge raise.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. NBA for a huge raise.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Most persuasive argument I have seen so far in favor of Kentucky paying whatever it takes to get Billy D.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

For some balance here, I would like to point out that great players make a coach look great, and Billy wasn't considered a great coach until this time last season. Remember all those disappointments? Think he'd get the same amount of patient time to build his program at Kentucky (which might have to happen)?

There's no way in hell.

3. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

And there's no way Florida fans will be disappointed in their basketball team, at least not for the next 10 years. By then, Donovan likely will be doing color commentary for a major network.

4. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

At least Steve Smith has two things going for him:

- He's from Kentucky
    - He's put more guys into the NBA than Tubby did/has

Still not a likely candidate, but interesting.

And please, no more mentioning of the Travis Ford/John Pelphrey possibilities. Going after somebody because they grew up in the neighborhood and not because of their resumes is an awful idea.

See Matt Doherty (UNC)
    See Darrin Horn (Western Kentucky)

Doherty didn't last very long (although he did recruit a heck of a team for Roy Boy) and golden boy is on the hot seat at Western Kentucky (where the Toppers don't expect a heck of a lot of success to begin with).

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Horn's in hot water? I realize the Toppers underachieved some this season, but they were still a good team.

Oh, and most Topper fans expect success -- at least a Sun Belt title and a post-season bid every other season or so.

6. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

Horn's a lot like his teacher (Crean) and Tubby in the way that he's a good Xs and Os coach, but no personality. Can't relate to the fans (who he pleads to go to games) and is drab in front of the media.

It's been a few years since Western won a title (regular season or tournament) of any kind.

If the Toppers don't make the NCAA tournament this coming season, Horn's gone.

7. Hammer Pants

Unless they become spoiled, which NEVER happens to fans when a team reaches newfound success.

8. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I'd hire Travis Ford or John Pelphrey and give him three years to rebuild. With the exception of two seniors (Ramel Bradley, Joe Crawford) and a soph (Jodie Meeks) on the roster for next season, Tubby left the cupboard pretty fucking bare.

9. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Would be a great argument, except that none of those are realistic candidates at this point.

Rick Barnes and Billy Gillispie are Plan B and Plan B2 at this point.

10. Hammer Pants

Bare for that program. They have no excuse for not competing for the East next year. Tennessee will be the team to beat and maybe a preseason top 5-8 team, with Georgia and South Carolina for sure better (maybe a lot better), Florida a big question mark and Vanderbilt being pretty damn awful.

Watch out for Georgia next year. I like what Felton's doing down there. The Dogs weren't bad before Mercer got hurt.

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

Kentucky fans are so up their asses with Donovan right now (just go read some of the message boards, or hear some of the radio shows, etc) that he'd have more than enough time to turn shit around.

Plus, the majority of the Kentucky fan base realizes how bare the cupboard is right now. UK was in bad shape personnel-wise heading in 2007 BEFORE Tubby left. Now, UK has effectively no recruiting class for 2007 and is falling behind for 2008, especially for 3 big-time prospects coming out of the Bluegrass.

No matter who's hired by UK, it may be 2009 before the Wildcats are a serious title contender again. And that's a best case scenario.

12. Dignan

Dignan Guest

I agree. What I meant was, I don't think UK has a chance at getting to the Final Four in the next three years. Tubby's recruiting the last three years really sucked.

Draft saved Draft deleted