1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Billy Donovan watch thread...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Apr 4, 2007.

?

What does Billy Donovan do?

1. Florida with a huge raise.

30 vote(s)
    76.9%
  2. Kentucky with a huge raise.

7 vote(s)
    17.9%
  3. NBA for a huge raise.

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

John Pelphrey is perhaps more ready for the UK job than Travis Ford. No knock on Ford, but he needs some more seasoning. He'll win a couple A-10 titles and be ready for a major school (unless he rebuilds UMass into a major) in about five years or so.

I spitballed this name a few weeks ago, and I still think he'd be a great out-of-the-box candidate: Steve Smith from Oak Hill Academy.

2. boots

boots New Member

Here's hoping the nuts who began arguing about weather won't get this one close. I think Billy stays. There's nothing Kentucky can give him that Florida can't match monetarily. Plus he's got something they want, back to back national titles.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

You're drunk.

4. boots

boots New Member

I don't think he'd take it but you know what might not be too far fetched? Stu Vetter.

5. Chef

Chef Active Member

He's from Kansas.

6. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Won't happen ... but talk about a recruiting pipeline.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I think he stays but think most interested story around is when will Pokey come out of hiding and tell her side of story.

8. boots

boots New Member

no pictures hoopefully

9. Freelance Hack

I do my best thinking when I'm drunk.

It's not like he doesn't recruit D-I talent year-in, year-out.

Seriously, if he can get McDonald's All-Americans to spend a year or two in BFE, Virginia, then surely he can do the same in Lexington.

EDIT: I may think good when I drink, but typing? Not so much.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But, and here's my point: It's not just recruiting.

As I said to sc above, Kentucky is not just a basketball job. You have to be prepared for everything else that comes with it. And I know Oak Hill is no HS program...but it's also no Kentucky.

11. Freelance Hack

I'm not sure there's a coach adequately prepared to handle the Kentucky job -- not even one who played or served as an assistant coach there.

Pitino is an altogether different animal. I'm not sure there's any coach out there just like him, even his protege Donovan.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

And I'm not saying handle it like Pitino. Just...handling everything that comes with it. It's where Tubby failed, beyond just the recruiting. He never seemed at ease with it, he never seemed like he knew what he was in the middle of.

Draft saved Draft deleted