1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official Apology

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by SkiptomyLou, Sep 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Just the most provable. And. I couldn't see what KJIM posted, but I'm sure it's wise words

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

You've single-handedly brought back the train wreck 'o fun to SJ. I'm not going to knock you for it.

(And on a serious note ... what IJAG said. She reached out privately and publicly to show you the ropes. If you can't heed that and have some humility and self-control and learn by experience, you're not ever going to get it, here or anywhere else for that matter. If you'd have acted like a normal person instead of positing yourself in "look at me! look at me!" mode you'd have been fine. Now? The damage is done.)

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I blame Junkie.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sad to say, but I can use a pro wrestling analogy for this (I know, I know, please bear with me).

In the WWE, and other wrestling organizations, it's a longstanding (maybe 40 or 50 years) tradition that when a new wrestler comes into the locker room, they have to shake hands with every single other wrestler and introduce themselves.

It's supposed to symbolize, from back in their secretive era, that the new guy was actually a member of the fraternity and kinda knew their code. A wrestler who didn't do the hand-shaking thing would be seen as an outsider at best, or a stuck-up asshole at worst, and usually wouldn't last too long. EVen if they shook hands with 49 guys, if they forgot to shake hands with No. 50, that guy would be pissed off at him and the other wrestlers would be whispering about why the new guy disrespected the veteran.

What you've done is the equivalant of coming in here, and not shaking anyone's hand (figuratively, I'm meaning here), and you've generated a lot of heat. You have to earn everyone else's respect before you pop off. Like others have said, don't post every little thought that comes into your head. Coming in as you have, you've left a bad first impression. And you know what people say about first impressions.

That doesn't mean that, once established, you won't piss people off with your posts. Maybe they just disagree with you, or maybe they're having a bad day. Or maybe what you posted ends up really stupid and on that occasion, you deserve to get ripped on. They'll be times that you'll post something that you'll regret. Heck, I have 9K-plus posts and there's some ones that I'd be shaking my head about today.

So the advice I'd give you is to think before you post, show respect to the others here, and don't try so damn hard to get a reaction.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Skip,

Type everything you want to say. Rant, rave and go nuts.

Then....Select All and hit delete. After that, either close the laptop or type out something else that is less offensive or upsetting to others.

Trust me, it does a lot of good. For you, for all of us.

6. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I agree. Skip is highly entertaining and hilarious. I don't normally read the baseball threads, but I did tonight because I'd heard he posted some gems. And did he ever, dawg.

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

In addition to everything else that has been said, when you're reading a thread, ask yourself before making a post: Am I making a contribution to this conversation, or just making noise? If it's the latter, think about it. Slowly. No, even more slowly than that.

8. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Hanged.

9. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

A verdict reached in a closed trial?

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ol' Skip, I am certain, is going to finally take all the good advice to heart and not post for a while. He will read, he will "listen" and he will learn and he will return a good poster and contributor to our little world.

Or else we will boot his ass to the curb!

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Upthread past participle peeve.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

This is a choice post. Advise from a poster who has reinvented himself 47 times and still has the same persona.

Skip - an apology makes you look weak.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.