1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official all-purpose CFL thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Beef03, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

What's the deal with Ottawa? Some sites list them as still being a CFL member, but "inactive," with some nebulous references to coming back at the next opportunity for expansion.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Many, including me, would love to see the CFL back in Ottawa, but it's a tough sell. I'm not sure of the CFL's official stance on Ottawa though. Something tells me the whole "inactive" thing is correct; that football will return there during expansion.

I know the Maritimes wants - and deserves - a team, but they lack a stadium and corporate dollars. Ottawa has the former. They have some (read: little) sponsorship and even fewer fans (understandable after the what they've endured the past decade).

Ottawa and the CFL needs football in the nation's capital for two reasons: 1) It's the nation's capital and 2) Winnipeg should NOT be in the East.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Jason Maas told us yesterday that for the final six games of last year, he was the one coming up with the offensive game plan. The day before the game, he'd go to the line and ask them what protection they wanted to use.

Yikes!

Taaffe will make a huge difference, but it probably won't be seen until September/October.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

OK, kids. I need help choosing a team/fleece. I fell off the CFL wagon for a few years and I want back on.

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/43745/

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Problem with the Ottawa franchise was quite simply, The Gliebermans.

6. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

Absolutely. And what they did with it and how they treated the fans, the game, everything is still a problem.

Fans will forever be skeptical of the CFL in Ottawa.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And the Ticats start off like the team from the last two years losing 39-7 to the Stamps.

Jason Maas is a fucking train wreck as a QB.

8. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I'm glad my Esks made the right decision! :D

9. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I may not know WTF a rouge is yet, but I do know this: Montreal is going to take a beating Thursday night.

And anyone who wants to be in the unofficial South Carolina Blue Bombers Society, just let me know. ;D

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

A few things:

1) The 3 minute drill on CBC's pregame show is a great addition. It is kind of like HNIC's Satellite Hotstove meets Prime Time Sports Roundtable. The idea of having only two people argue their point is a good idea and the humour is an added, enjoyable touch to the drill. I am waiting to see when Millington, Frers, Jones and Friedman will disagree on who will win the game each week and which of the four will emerge victorious. (Sorry Friedman, my money is on Millington to get predictions right with Frers coming in a close second) Also, did anyone notice how hipper the pregame show and actual football game package CBC put together was???

2) Hamilton Ti-Cats could have used the jack rabbit to help their cause on Saturday. The team was awful.
    Maas looked confused. Again, the running backs could have taken tips from the rabbit because he "got game". The rabbit alone could have scored all the touchdowns and the Ti-cats could have easily won the game with the secret weapon.

3) So Sue Me- I disagree with your notion that the Maritimes lack a stadium and corporate dollars. The Ottawa experiment has failed twice and I think it is time the CFL infuses new blood, primarily going to the Maritimes. There has been news stories this week in the Chronicle Herald about a new sports stadium replacing the Cogswell Exchange and a CTV Atlantic story that Huskies stadium is on a list of things that Halifax Regional Municipal Council was to upgrade and refurbish. In this case, the CTV Atlantic eluded to the fact that the stadium needs better seating and enough seating to entertain bigger games, ie. CFL exhibition games. There have been talks about more exhibition games coming here and we could see it next season. As for corporate dollars, there are dollars to be had. First of all, there is a big fund left over from the failed debacle known as the Commonwealth Games bid. It has been unused but putting it towards a potential CFL franchise would be money well spent. Also, Atlantic Lotto Corporation has set up lotteries and ticket sales where money goes to amateur sport, and I can see them doing the same to drum up funds for the CFL.

Finally, the names Sobeys, Keiths, Fountains and Irvings linked to a CFL franchise equals corporate dollars.
    (Mind you the Irvings would endorse the Moncton franchise and Sobeys would endorse the Halifax franchise) Even Mooseheads and Olands Breweries would put corporate dollars towards it. Trust me, there is corporate bucks.

11. Was anyone else impressed by Tyler Ebell's performance? The kid looks like he has a bright future in Edmonton.

12. SoSueMe

SoSueMe Active Member

I know, you've argued this before. But if you think government money is going to fund a private league, you're insane. They could do the old Alberta Hockey Lotto thing, but that's about it. And it doesn't raise nearly as much as you'd think.

Do you think any privately owned team team is going sit back and watch as a new franchise gets hand outs to fund it?

The Maritimes can refurbish, renovate and revamp stadiums all it wants, but the fact is, they need a new one; a bigger one.

Maybe there are corporate dollars. But there is little disposable income too don't forget.

Draft saved Draft deleted