1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official 2011 NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 25, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Was Durant considered the best player in that draft? I don't recall. I do know he was more productive than Oden, but Oden was on a better, more balanced college team.

I think now the conventional wisdom post-Yao and Oden is that true centers are like running backs -- durability WILL be limited. Don't plan on getting 75 games a year over a 15-year career because their feet won't hold up.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Durant/Oden was a coin flip.

And even though I really did not like Simmons' latest column, I will reference it in saying everyone knew Jordan pretty much was going to be a crisp dollar bill and Bowie was not. But back then, everyone thought you had to have a great or very good center to win it all because every team that had ever won it all had at least a very good center.

What's odd about drafts today is you never are sure if a guy is going to be a crisp dollar bill. In the past, Hakeem, Ewing, Jordan, Duncan and a few others were pretty much locks to be great players. Maybe next year will give us a lock or two?

3. BrianGriffin

That's one of the reasons for Jordan's greatness. At the highest level, I like to separate greats by how they singularly influenced the game. Did they ban dunks because of you? Did they widen the lane because of you? That kind of thing.

Well, Jordan made it a guard's game. Like you said, all other great teams had a dominant big man. Now, nobody has one and everybody wants to give it to a guy on the perimeter and let him create (even though the Bulls did that far less than people think).

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I thought Beasley would be better than Rose, but I also thought Durant would be better than Oden.

There haven't been too many draft busts taken super high in the draft, but I'd bet the majority of those busts came when a team reached for a big man.

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Ola Ko Kandi?

6. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

On that note, honestly, how many of us said, "Tractor Traylor for some Euroweenie named Dirk? There goes Nellie again."

7. Mizzougrad96

Sam Bowie
    Michael Olowokandi
    Pervis Ellison
    Greg Oden
    Kwame Brown
    Hasheem Thabeet
    Eddy Curry
    Stromile Swift
    Adonal Foyle
    Shawn Bradley
    Felton Spencer

8. Mizzougrad96

You can't take a guy high just because he has size. Teams are so worried about missing out on the next Olajuwon, Ewing or Robinson that they wind up missing out on guys like Jordan or Durant. Hell, look at Darko over Anthony and Wade...

9. secretariat

secretariat Active Member

Can't fault all of those big-man picks. Take Pervis, for example. Behold the shitshow that was the 1989 NBA Draft:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_1989.html

Ditto Kwame Brown and Eddy Curry in 2001:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/draft/NBA_2001.html

Only five of the 13 ever amounted to anything. Six if you count the decade it's taken for Tyson Chandler to be worth a damn.

10. BrianGriffin

I think you just have to ask yourself "but can he play?"

11. Mizzougrad96

The 1989 draft was horrific. People even knew that at the time. I think Glen Rice and Tim Hardaway were the best picks.

I remember people saying that Gasol was going to be the best player in the 2001 draft, but that there's no way he was going No. 1.

12. Mizzougrad96

I was at Arco Arena for the draft party when they picked Ellison.

The pick was loudly booed because the fans wanted Stacey King. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted