1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Official 2011 NBA Draft thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, May 25, 2011.

1. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Well if college success translated, then a team with Rumeal Robinson, Mateen Cleaves, Christian Laettner, Eric Montross and Ed O'bannon would have been hell on wheels.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Not saying it always translated, just wondered how you project a player with inferior levels of success higher than someone with higher levels of success if all things are equal. Wouldn't the player with more success than skill be credited with overcoming a skill deficit? Wouldn't a player with less success than skill be marked down for not maximizing potential?
    I know the NBA is a different game and teams are looking for players with specific abilities in relation to their team's system or needs and perhaps an "all-around" talent won't get you very far if you don't do any one thing exceptionally well - but like height, I don't know if you can "coach" determination and competitiveness.

3. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think there are a couple issues:

- Once you get to the pros, pretty much everyone is working hard. Yeah, there are guys like Derrick Coleman and Tractor Traylor who clearly don't give it their all, but most everyone is either 1) trying really hard or 2) has the talent to make it less of an issue. Meaning, things like leadership don't mean as much.

- Certain skills translate better than others because the defense is much, much better in the NBA. Typically, rebounding and blocks and steals degrade the least to the NBA; the three are usually markers of athleticism, and while they'll erode a bit, a great college defensive player is normally at least a very good guy in the pros.

- Age is a huge consideration. When you factor in prep school and maybe a redshirt year, some college seniors can be 22 or 23 now (Marshon Brooks). If you're an NCAA freshman and holding your own against those guys, that's much more valuable than the other way around.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There are so many lottery pick busts in NBA history, from Chris Washburn to Darko, it's hard to take official NBA talent assessments too seriously. Those guys are guessing right along with fans.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

If Jimmer were named Jamaal, how many articles would Bill Rhoden have written proclaiming Jamaal Fredette the best college player in the country and if he doesn't get selected first, it's racist.?

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It would be unusual to have a white guy named Jamaal :p

Of course, it's unusual to have a white guy named Jimmer.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

A friend of mine said Fredette is the NBA's version of Tebow. He'll come in, sell a shitload of jerseys, maybe a few tickets, but the jury is still out on how he'll play at the next level.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Except for Williams, I think the jury is still out on every damn pick in the first round. A freshman who missed almost an entire season with an injury was the FIRST pick!

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I think Tebow has a brighter future in the NFL because he could play other positions (TE, Hback, FB) if needed. Jimmer is limited in what he can do.

10. 93Devil

You know the UConn kid will at worst be a rotation player in the pros. He just does not seems to be future All Star.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't know, I think Jimmer could be a good third down back, maybe play some nickel coverage and hit the three pointer.

12. 93Devil

He would make a great Raider...

Draft saved Draft deleted