1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offical titles of games?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by schiezainc, Dec 7, 2008.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

His/her point is that commas are used to set off nonessential information ("Mary's husband, Tom" unless Mary's a polygamist, or "the police chief, who will not be running for mayor, killed the suspect with his pistol").

I disagree that the rule should be applied to scores because they are like adjectives or adverbs to me. I see it as Bumblefuck beat Shitwood (impressively/20-14). My boss disagrees. I use the comma for now.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'll bet I've worked almost evenly half places where the score is set off and half not. Currently at a "not" place.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

As to the official titles of games. If it's a "sponsored by So-and-So" that comes out.

If they sponsor is the official name, it is supposed to run at least once.

4. Columnists v. Reporters. BIG Difference.
    A columnists can get away with that. A reporter can't. Not in a game story. NOT. EVER.
    I hope in your paid judgement you realize that.

5. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

Maybe this helps the conversation.

A few years ago, my news editor, managing editor and myself had this conversation, and we came to this conclusion: If the event had existed for years and suddenly a sponsor latches its name onto it, then the sponsor shouldn't be named in print. If the event essentially exists because the sponsor created it, then yes, the sponsor's name should be included.

If some corporation wants to latch its name onto an event that's existed for years, and wants that recognition in print, there is a time and place for it. The time is 9 a.m.-5 p.m., and the place is the ad department.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I can't wait to read all the stories from the FedEx Orange Bowl about Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I agree. And that's what I do. But events and sponsors do themselves no favors by piling on multiple sponsors. I canlive with FedEx Orange Bowl.

But the John Hancock/Mutual of Omaha Sun Bowl presented by Met Life is pushing it.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention any Big East basketball game involving Rhode Island and Providence Plantations (the official name of the state).

EDIT: I meant Atlantic 10.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm sure Cuttino Mobley was thrilled by this.

10. That is a pretty logical approach, but it still leaves a grey area. What if a sponsor stepped into a save an event from collapsing?
    They were the reason the longstanding event is still around?

Look,
    I can't stress this enough; The need to be accurate.
    Part of the who, what, where, when ... if it includes the Poulon Independence Weedeater Bowl then so be it. Refer it as the Independence Bowl after the first reference, but the whole name needs to be included on first reference. Always.
    No exceptions. This is a tenet of basic reporting.
    Maybe it has everything to do with marketing and name recognition, but that shouldn't matter to you as far as reporting goes. Get the facts right.
    When you write about the Class AAA, Region IV, Section 2 semifinal, do you simply put sectional semifinal because you don't feel like typing in all those extra words and numbers?
    No.
    That is the event you covered and it needs to be identified as such (on first reference). Every time.

If you mention PNC Park, Heinz Field and Tropicana Field, how do you justify not mentioning the full and correct name of a bowl game?

11. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

That's a good way of putting it.

12. How far do you take that approach? What if you review a movie called "Fuck You and Your Cat?"

Draft saved Draft deleted