1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Offensive Mascots All-Purpose Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 8, 2013.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

I don't think we have ever had an all purpose thread for this subject, but considering the Washington/Kansas City/Cleveland/Illini (Illinois) situations where their mascots come under fire, I thought having one might come in handy, particularly after seeing this item:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/highschool-prep-rally/forget-redskins-high-school-california-mascot-least-offensive-113535243.html

The item does not indicate how parents/teachers/students feel about the mascot (I had to wonder myself about how asking a HS girl to dress as a belly dancer for the mascot at half made the student feel....).

Any thoughts (of course there will be.....). Have at.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

"We have been using the snarling face to instill fear in the opponent. That's what a mascot does.

This is tremendous. Good find.

Go Arabs!

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The Frisco Coons say hi.

5. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This one pains me a bit, but the Edmonton Eskimos of the CFL

[​IMG]

The logo and mascot are not very offensive -- they have polar bear and an overstuffed football with arms and legs as their mascots during games and promotional appearance -- but the name itself is deemed offensive, on the level of the Indians.

Also their play this season was extremely offensive to their fans.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That went away more than a decade ago. They're the Raccoons properly now (what the nickname meant to begin with) and they're now just one of (soon to be) eight high schools in that town.

7. Bodie_Broadus

Bodie_Broadus Active Member

My HS is called Tomahawks.

Offensive?

Draft saved Draft deleted