1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off to see the Wizard ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, May 3, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Jake's eyes danced as he bobbed rhythmically in his stroller to the first sounds of munchkinland. Took my 16-month-old son to see "The Wizard of Oz," which played, on the big screen, in a family matinee nearby. What a treat! I'd taken Jake to see films in a theater, none of the few trips lasting more than the first act, bouts of frustration or crying spells sending me from the theater, a fin wasted.

Saturday differed. With each scene, Jake laughed and giggled, wowed the most when Dorothy opened the door from her fallen house to the technicolor world of Oz. To see Jake's face, munching crackers and enjoying apple juice, as Scarecrow danced, Tin Man shuffled and the Lion royally growled -- well, it opened this old man's door to a wonderful new world of shared experience. New movies will be enjoyed anew each time Jake sits along side me.

Mrs. CI and myself love 'Wizard,' a shared favorite that drew us closer in early days of courtship. Jake's come along ... and there's plenty of room on this yellow brick road.

2. I still haven't let my four-year-old watch this movie because I thought she'd be scared of it.

What did you do during the flying monkeys?

3. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

He was fine with them. He actually seemed to enjoy greatly the music that accompanied the Wicked Witch.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Active Member

A nice step on the Yellow Brick Road of life, eh CI?

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

My niece is obsessed with The Wizard of Oz. Every time I speak to her, it's the same thing. ...

"Uncle Mikey, the next time you're in town, can we watch The Wizard of Oz together? It's a really good movie. Have you ever seen it?"

"Yeah, Megan. I'll watch it. But only if your daddy will watch it with us."

"Daddy, will you watch The Wizard of Oz with me and Uncle Mikey?"

Daddy grabs the phone: "I hate you."

6. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

I am 40 years old and to this day, I can't watch this movie. It gives me nightmares. So does Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

7. I like the old Wonka, but yeah, my kid's not watching that one for a couple more years. The new Wonka is a lot worse. I let my kid watch the squirrel scene only and the stopped it before the girl went down the garbage chute.

8. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

Damnit! You mentioned the girl in the garbage chute. The nightmares have begun and I'm still awake. Not kidding. Those movies freak me out!

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Active Member

Dude, did you put on Dark Side? Great Gig In The Sky, man, Great Gig In The Sky!

10. Yeah, but I was talking about the girl going down the garbage chute in the second movie, not the first movie. So think happy thoughts and sweet dreams ...

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Does that really work? And do I need to be baked?

12. Oz

Oz Active Member

I still need to watch this movie while listening to Pink Floyd. Heard it syncs up ...

Draft saved Draft deleted