1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off to a rousing start

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Aug 29, 2008.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

First high school football night, just a little warmup for the main event on Friday.

We roll 15 minutes late.

One of our better stringers ambles past the last page deadline before sending and another game calls in right on the button.

Blissfully, another job was still rolling in the back.

Still, not really a good omen.

2. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

we made it with a minute to spar on a light night -- three high school games, 20 inches of prep volleyball roundup and the local Division II school with a 7 p.m. kick.
    and, we had no late deadlines because of the powers that be nixing the idea that good coverage should supercede getting down on time.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What do you guys do with those late-bell calls?

Sub them into the second edition if you have one, or hold them for the next day?

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

We actually rolled 19 minutes early in Week 1 last week. We made deadline all 10 weeks of the regular season last year, too.

All of this happens because of one — ridiculous — reason, which I shall not disclose... at least not at this time. :-X

5. HejiraHenry

Depends. We have two editions, and one school that calls late often is within that area, so we can sub them in, then re-run the next day.

And get it up on the internets, too.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Colton, you realized you just jinxed the shit out of yourself.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ah, you'll be OK.

8. first couple weeks always seem to be hardest for us, since that's when you have the bulk of your non-league/non-conference games. so instead of 20 area schools playing each other in 10 conference games and maybe two non-leaguers, we get about 25 games since everyone is playing out of area. and on the other side of the state.

9. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Not to hijack your thread or anything, HH, but what the hell happened to the Wave tonight? I thought they were supposed to be good and then I saw on the wire where they got spanked 42-0 by some team from Tennessee.

10. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

AP has it backwards. Tupelo won 42-0.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Typical AP screwup.

12. HejiraHenry

What Rusty said. I finally called AP Southeast and got it fixed ... on the sixth writethru.

Draft saved Draft deleted