1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off the subject of sports ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Harry Lime, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

As I usually do, I'm coming to you guys and girls with a question.
    What's the best way to get into the film critic line of work?
    I've been freelancing it for the past year or so, and I was wondering if anybody knew of any Web sites for jobs or just had any advice.
    I know a lot of papers are cutting their critics, but this is something I'd like to get into, and I think I'm good at it.
    Thanks for your advice. It's always appreciated.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

Talk shit about Rob Schneider.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Would you know what you're talking about? If not, no amount of advice can help you.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You can only do that if you've won a Pulitzer. Rob Schneider says so.

5. Harry Lime

Harry Lime New Member

Yes, I do know what I'm talking about.

6. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"A wonderful, engaging examination."
                                        -fishwrapper

[Thought I would critique your thread with a one-line catchphrase in the hopes on landing on a movie poster.]

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

"A leading man full of bravado [or shit]."
    -fishwrapper

8. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

If that were my goal, I would go about it a different way since papers are indeed cutting critics. I'd try to get a gig, either freelance or full time, reporting hard news about the film industry instead of critiquing films. The Hollywood Reporter advertises openings from time to time. The New York Times' Hollywood reporter just quit -- Romenesko linked to it today -- and while you probably can't get that job, you might be able to follow the dominoes. There's always going to be some demand for news reporting out of Hollywood because readers are interested in it. And after a few years if you still wanted to, it probably would be relatively easy to move over into criticism because you would have the movie-industry contacts that most aspiring critics lack.

9. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

All right, I'll do it for you all:

BLOGS!

Draft saved Draft deleted