1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off the grid: No phone, no light, no internet, not a single luxury

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Cold ravioli from a can? You don't have a grill?

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

We were out for almost 5 days last week. Checked into a hotel since we didn't have running water and the one bathtub only holds so much water to flush toilets with.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, grilled up all the dogs and burgers in the first day or so. With no place to put the leftovers.

Well I am certainly not trying to compare my plight ::) ::) to Katrina.

Eating cold ravioli and being off the computer for four days ain't nothing compared to that.

Update: My earlier posts were from work, where the power had been burning bright the whole time. When I left the office at 1 a.m., the electric company's "outage page" assured me the lights were back on.

Pull into the driveway, hit the garage-door opener. No joy.

Oh well, another night in the middle ages.

So at 3:45 a.m., I rolled over half-asleep in my cold black bedroom.

And the digital clock started blinking.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I always thought you had a little Ted Kacznyski in you. :D

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I'm not kidding: I'm completely incapable of existing like that. I would literally not know what to do. Not the internet/tv thing. But like eating. I'm a completely non-capable person.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Seriously, if it was gonna happen, this was probably about the best time it could have happened. It was a little chilly for the season, but not really uncomfortable.

Plus water never went out, so the toilet/shower functions were not a problem. Thank god (although I do live next to a big park with plenty of bushes, so I suspect I could have figured out a solution).

I remember back in the blackout of 2003, power was out for about a day and a half, in 90+ degree heat. It was hot and sweaty for a couple nights, but I grew up in a non-air-conditioned house, so I lived through it. Plus then as now, water was still running, so if things got too sticky, a 3-minute cool shower was always an option.

But if it had happened in the dead of winter, I'd have been fucked big time.

You can bundle up in blankets when the house is 45-50 degrees, not so much when it's 10-20 or colder. Plus freezing pipes and everything ... not good.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I meant you could have heated the ravioli on the grill.

My father-in-law lost power for nearly three weeks once thanks to an ice storm. Living out in the country, he was low on the priority list to get restored. Luckily, their heat was on propane so it was dark at night, but warm.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

We lost power for a day and a half after a wind storm about a month ago.

When we lose power we lose running water because we're on a well. It didn't take too long to realise that we could use buckets of water from the pop-up swimming pool in the back yard to flush toilets.

We have a small generator to keep the freezer from turning into soup, but the well pump has a much-higher-voltage 220 motor. Air conditioning is also beyond the generator power.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Just read this apocalypse fiction about what happens to the US when our enemies shoot a nuclear bomb with an EMP on it over the country. Basically, all electronics are wiped out:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

In 1996, our house lost power for three days plus -- the week before Christmas -- due to an ice storm. Starman is right. The house gets uninhabitable real fast when it's below freezing outside. Me and the dog lasted two days while Alice and the kids went to a local motel. Then the last night, he didn't complain about being boarded at a nice warm kennel and I sure didn't complain about the motel and its television, heat, hot water and especially its functioning bar.
    In an ice storm in central Mass three or four years ago, again in December, people were without power for weeks. I can't imagine.
    I turned the water on at a trickle in every faucet and prayed to the gods of water temperature. Much to my surprise, this worked.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted