1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off the grid: No phone, no light, no internet, not a single luxury

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Starman, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just returning to the 21st Century for the first time since Saturday night, when surprise storms blew my house back to the 1840s.

After the cell phone went dead early Monday morning, it dawned on me: there ain't a hell of a lot you can do without electric power in our society today once the sun goes down. I have a half-dozen flashlights stashed around the house, but you can only burn through batteries so fast.

Going to bed at 9 p.m. is a bit of an adjustment if you're used to 3-5 a.m.

Yeah, you can go sit in the car and listen to the radio/stereo, but you're burning gas at about a nickel a minute (or risking killing THAT battery too).

While the sun's still up, you can read books. I knew I was keeping those things around for SOME reason. But once the sun goes down, it's time to go to sleep (although I actually got in some quality stargazing Tuesday night. Blacked-out city means less light pollution). Luckily it only got down into the mid-40s and I have plenty of thick blankets.

Breakfast? Cold ravioli from a can. Yummy.

The power company's automated response system assures me I should come home to a fully powered-up house tonight. But Monday afternoon, they said everybody would be back on line by Tuesday noon. So I ain't holding my breath.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Maybe you could have gone for a three-hour boat tour...

3. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

This is exactly why, in the 1840s, the married couple had 53 children.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Only if Mary Ann and Ginger were among the crew. The rest of that bunch can stay on the pier.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

... a three-hour tour.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Did you get the last cut of hay bailed and stacked, and get the cows milked?

7. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Feel your pain, Starman. After Katrina, at my house we had 6 days with no running water, 3 weeks without electricity and 2 months with no internet. We had a Coleman stove, though, and plenty of fuel, so we could fix hot meals and make coffee. Wasn't fun, but we got by.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And 50 of them would die of dysentery.

9. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Exactly. When my power was out last week, so many people chimed in with, "Back to the pioneer days! You get to see how people lived back then!"

Then I pointed out the average lifespan back then was about 45 years.

Fuck pioneer days.

10. jr/shotglass

Of course, you didn't need to lock your front door throughout those 45 years. :)

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Because your nearest "neighbor" was 3 miles away and you rode horseback to get there.

12. jr/shotglass

And ... that was OK ...

Draft saved Draft deleted