1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

off-shoot to pearlman rocker thread

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by shockey, Oct 8, 2009.

1. shockey

shockey Active Member

didn't want to threadjack 'cause this is different: do we all have a story we wish we had never hit the "send" button on? for whatever reason, other than simply "it sucked."

mine: i'll spare the details unless this thread becomes something worthwhile, but 10 years ago i did a piece about an nfl team/coach in which the said coach was pretty good friend. too good.

so good he felt comfy enough to say some things even with my recorder clearly on and me taking notes he did not think i'd write about the upcoming opposing coach/team. since he never said anything approaching "off-the-record," i just figured he was feeling good about his team's fast start and wrote it.

long story short, story hits the fan the next day. the guy flips. calls me at home. long story shorter, by the time the game folo's are done, we never speak again.

a great relationship lost over a silly, everyday story. coach is fired by year's end. is living happily ever after as one of the most successful college coaches around.

couldn't be happier for him. but the whole episode haunts me, obviously, to this day. anyone else ever experience anything like this? ??? ??? ???

2. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

He's a good guy, you're a good guy, I'd be very, very surprised if he was still holding any animosity over it. You should drop him a note if it's really haunting you.

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

This sounds like something you both would laugh about now.

This stuff can be tricky. I once covered a high school basketball coach who was waaaaay too comfortable around me. Would say some outlandish shit. He knew I knew what to print and what not to print. Most of it was about stuff so unimportant that the only reason to run it would be to burn him, so I didn't.

4. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

Is this coach Pete Carroll by chance?

5. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Good thread idea.

I was covering a major college coach who I had a good relationship with when he got into some trouble with the law.

There were some explosive allegations in the charges. Race was part of it.

A few days afterward, his team lost big at home. I wrote a story detailing the game and mood of the program. Everything was true, but it was harsh. Very harsh.

The team's coach hasn't really talked to me since that incident. That's been a few years ago.

Do I wish I could take back what I wrote? Not exactly. But it was a valuable lesson on what a beat writer has to weigh when it comes to stories on difficult subjects. You obviously have to report the facts, but the way you do it has meaning as well.

6. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Is Shockey actually Will Ferrell?

7. shockey

shockey Active Member

not important.

8. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Really? You've talked about your job in the past, what you've covered. You say the coach was fired, and now is one of the most successful college coaches around...and you don't think that's easily figured out?

Shit, I knew and I don't care enough about any of the people involved to even think about it.

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wait, it's not Rich Kotite?

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

i simply said it's not important. it has nothing to do with the question posed. please try to stay on point. i was simply asking if others had any similar experiences/regrets.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Wait, it's not Walt Walton?

12. shockey

shockey Active Member

ya mean joe walton?

again, not important.

Draft saved Draft deleted