1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off of soccer, answer this....quantify Bobby Cox's managerial lifeline

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bobblehead, Jun 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And every manager of a 110-win club that didn't win the World Series says, "Yeah, you wish it managed itself."

2. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

yeah, I didn't really mean it literally. I just meant that it was the one lineup that won the whole thing, and that it wasn't fearsome. It came out a little too lazily thanks to a few too many tasty adult beverages.

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Maybe, but I doubt it. I realize I'm splitting hairs here, but the season was shortened by 18 games. McGriff would amost certainly have reached 30. Klesko and Chipper would have had to hit seven more (seven in 18 games is a pace for 63 over a full season) and Justice would have had to hit six (a 54 pace). Probably stretching it to think they could have all gotten to 30. Still a potent lineup though, and a lot of homers aren't always a world championship indicator anyway. While the last six world series winners have had at least one 30-homer guy, the previous four did not. In the Yankees' three-straight run, only Bernie Williams in 2000 had 30.

(god, I love baseballreference.com)

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Exactly. Baseball hasn't always been about hitting home runs. Look at that line-up. If you're a pitcher there isn't a break in there from 1-8. You've got to pitch your ass off every single at-bat.

When a pitcher is standing on the mound thinking "fuck, now I've got to face THIS guy too," that's the definition of fearsome.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Who knows. In the meantime, Jim Leyland, with a career record under .500, 9 losing seasons in 14 years as a manager, and who has also abruptly quit every MLB job he has ever had, is snapped up. Go figure.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Paging Mr. Whitlock ... Mr. Whitlock ... your high horse awaits you at the loge level concierge deck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.