1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Off limits" does NOT apply to Chris Berman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, May 23, 2009.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Per Bob Raissman's NY Daily News column:

<b>"Nonetheless it seems security does not take the same rigid stance with everyone - like ESPN's mouthy Chris Berman. Monday, he was seen walking around the Yankees clubhouse like he owned the place. Berman was big-timing to the max, strolling into areas clearly marked "no media allowed beyond this point." Perhaps Berman thought the sign did not apply to him because it did not read "no clowns allowed beyond this point."

"By the time PR personnel found out Berman was trespassing and went to evict him, he was in Girardi's office talking to the manager. Berman occupying prohibited space in the Bombers' clubhouse is nothing new. He did it at the old joint and in Detroit. When the Yankees were in there, he parked his tuchis in the players' food room, totally off limits to media. Perhaps Berman subscribes to the following old adage: If it ain't catered, it ain't journalism."</b>

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Your with me leather.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Saw him do that in Philly last week too. He walked around like he owned the place.

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Sadly, most pro sports teams have double standards for ESPN buffoons.

I've routinely seen talking heads from ESPN in similar 'no-access' zones in the locker room of the NFL team I help cover.

It's really maddening, especially when the PR flaks who treat us beat guys like dirt fall all over themselves to help out these clowns.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

The NFL guys need to realize that ESPN needs them more than they need ESPN.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

I thought that already was made clear when the league ordered the network to shut down "Playmakers."

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Rightsholders are not the press. Berman's organization GIVES the Yankees money. It's not the same relationship.

8. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

You would think with all the access he gets that he would be able to put it to good use.

But on the unfortunate Sunday nights when we must listen to him babble, stammer and scream his way through "Baseball Tonight," he's essentially useless.

PR flacks go out of their way to assist the national media. We've all seen it.

9. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

In a lot of ways, he does own the place. Or at least his employer does.

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

With MLB's new network, why would anyone watch BB Tonight?

11. podunk press

podunk press Active Member

Basic digital cable.

No MLB Network.

So for me, it's "back, back, back" to Baseball Tonight.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

They don't do much over the weekend, especially on Saturday night.

Was pretty disappointed about that when I got home yesterday.

Draft saved Draft deleted