1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off-limit conversations?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MightyMouse, Dec 15, 2011.

1. MightyMouse

MightyMouse Member

In the past, it always seemed the conversations that would cause the most trouble were politically charged. And they still rank up there, but recently, there have been a couple of conversations that I have to stop as soon as they are started, just because of the passionate stances they invoke.

The two that come to mind right away are: Mike McQueary's culpability in the Jerry Sandusky situation; and Tim Tebow (the Tebow debate definitely is more recent).

Twice in the last three days Tebow's merits as a football player and NFL quarterback vs. college quarterback have been the the subject of very heated debates among the staff -- to the point where workflow is interrupted. And the conversation on Day 2 seemed to be identical to Day 1. It's gotten to the point where I have to pretty much outlaw Tebow talk in the sports department if any work is going to get done.

Just wondering if anyone else out there has taboo conversation topics (you know, aside from those that will get you called down to HR the next day).

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Our sports team hasn't really talked about Tebow or anything, but it has certainly been funny to listen to one of the ladies on the copy desk -- who, fwiw, pretends to be a sports fan -- talk about it like she knows what the hell she's talking about.

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

She'd be a perfect fit here.

4. Raiders

Raiders Guest

If newsroom people don't know how to debate things in civil terms, what are they doing working for freedom of speech? Debates should be an exchange of ideas and opinions, not insults and ridicule.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Fuck you, Raiders.

6. Raiders

Raiders Guest

I'd kick your ass if I wasn't on deadline.

7. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I think she could take you.

8. stix

stix Well-Known Member

I would say if you're banging a co-worker's significant other, that might be off-limits.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

We find it easier to keep political and religious conversations/debates to a minimum in the office.

10. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

11. We had to ban political talk, because there were very strident views at each end of the spectrum in our shop. Work would come to a crashing halt.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hey, so did we! On this board, I mean.

Draft saved Draft deleted