1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off-duty Chicago cop fatally shoots (unarmed?) burglary suspect

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Sep 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

12 hours later, and we still don't know if the perp was armed.

Sun-Times: http://bit.ly/14iEINW

Trib: http://trib.in/15v6ohW

Police union says everything's cool.

Neither cop nor perp are identified.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Follow-ups are going to take awhile, it can be difficult to get a copy of The Narrative on a holiday weekend.

3. YankeeFan

Exactly. The union's already gotten the rough draft done. They're hoping no on asks for a final edit.

But, I think we'll see that if you're going to shoot an unarmed "suspect", you're much better off being an actual cop than a "wanna be" cop, even if you're off duty, and out of uniform.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Your Zimmerman hard-on is showing.

5. YankeeFan

I don't understand.

A cop shot and killed what appears to be an unarmed man. There was no confrontation. Was deadly force necessary?

Shouldn't we all be concerned about something like this, or do we need to know the race of the individuals involved before we decide whether to care, or which side we want to be on?

6. TheSportsPredictor

Save the passive-aggressive bullshit. You completely understand. You don't post anything before looking at your George Zimmerman screen saver.

7. YankeeFan

Who's being passive-aggressive?

This story is interesting specifically because we don't know all the particulars. We have the Union rep's version of events, and that's it.

I like the quotes we have from the perp. They remind me of the quotes George Zimmerman attributed to Trayvon Martin.

According to the off-duty cop, this guy did everything necessary to allow the cop to shoot him with justification. That's awfully convenient.

I'm guessing we'd know by now if the perp was armed. But, even unarmed, he reached for his waistband.

This is a great opportunity for everyone to let their feelings be known absent racial politics. Right now, it's a completely color-blind story.

But, hey, only a racist would want to know the racial backgrounds of the individuals involved.

Yet, until then, everyone will withhold judgement.

8. TheSportsPredictor

I was very clear -- you are being passive-aggressive.

Well, until I called you on your garbage. The real reason you posted this story came out in your last post.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Good thing all the espresso machines are functioning today in the Windy City.

11. YankeeFan

Nope. Fixed one this morning at a busy breakfast place.

Sunday is double-time, so $150 to walk in the door, and $150 per hour while on site. Changed a couple hundred dollars worth of parts and a $100 water filter.

Guy wrote me a check before I left.

And, since it was close by, it didn't take up a big part of the day.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's the real reason?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.