1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Off and on the record

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KJIM, Apr 5, 2011.

1. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

I would have called the subject and told him "Buddy told me this, and I think it's a nice detail and really helps the story. Do you mind if I use it?" They might initially resist or have to be cajoled a bit, but it usually comes out "I'd rather you didn't" or "All right then, no big deal."
    In either case, respect the subject's wishes.

2. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Agree the best course is to ask the donor to verify what you were told; you don't even know for a fact whether he did indeed donate the money. See what he says, go from there.

But a moment to discuss 'on and off the record' once again:

Someone saying 'this is off the record' does not necessarily make it so. Technically, he can ask or request it, but unless you agree in advance, it's still fair game. So when you get some great story, and then the guy adds at the end, 'yeah, but that's off the record,' you can still say 'um, sorry, no.' Or as Ace suggested, you can get it from someone else and attribute it that way.

Off the record only works when your subject says 'okay, I'll talk to you, but it has to be off the record,' and you can agree or disagree.

3. ringer

ringer Active Member

It's not up to your subject whether your should include it in the story. You don't need to ask his/her permission.

If the facts are confirmed from reliable on-the-record sources, it's absolutely legit (regardless of whether another source says the same thing off the record - just be sure you don't attribute the info to the off-the-record person).

4. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I would call him and ask if it's true.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

If people know about it already, then it's already been revealed. I'm not sure why it's such a big dilemma.

Also, a subject's actions speak louder than words so it's more persuasive to offer hard evidence of the person's benevolence rather than a bunch of quotes that say, "He's a good guy."

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Ah, but you don't know that he wouldn't want the information revealed.

You just have one guy telling you that and two people you talked to knew it, so it's not like he's doing a great job keeping it a secret.

It's entirely possible that the subject would like it to be known but doesn't want to seem like he's the one touting his largesse.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If two people say he donated his salary, you have two people saying he donated his salary. If he says he donated his salary, you have him saying he donated his salary. In neither case do you know for a fact that he donated his salary. You have people saying he did.

I know that's not the topic, but in case the kids are reading here, I thought someone should say it.

8. Dan Feldman

Dan Feldman Member

I completely agree with this. But since you've already crossed that bridge, here's my advice:

I understand your uneasiness about using that detail, even if you understand you ethically can. If you think it adds to your story -- and it certainly sounds like it would -- call the subject of the piece for follow-up questions.

Don't ask permission. Don't ask how he feels about you using it. Just ask him about why he donated his money, etc.

If he doesn't raise any objections to your line of questioning, you shouldn't worry about using it. If he does, then you'll have to evaluate whether including the info is worth upsetting two sources. (In this case, probably not, but I don't have enough details to know for certain.)

9. lcjjdnh

lcjjdnh Well-Known Member

Let's say he does raise an objection. Aside from upsetting a source, are you potentially painting an unfair picture of him if you publish this anecdote? That is, he is not the type of person that would do this for publicity; in fact, he is exactly the opposite (unless it's false modesty). At the very least, do you need to make very clear that he specifically did not want you to include this anecdote. Might be inaccurate if you don't.

Draft saved Draft deleted