1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...Of newspapers and dive bars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

nyet.

2. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was/is the Billy Goat Tavern a place for Chicago Tribune employees?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I believe the saying is "Any port in a storm." And if the port has naked women, all the better.

4. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

My first job in the early '80s was with a p.m. paper and there wasn't really a good post-work afternoon gathering spot in our old, dead, downtown, but a few of us in sports (most of my co-workers were under 30 and single at the time) often would gather at night at a sports bar-type place that was close to where most of us lived. Because of less-than-restrictive zoning in that part of town, the place was open until 4 a.m., and we were known to occasionally stay until closing time. Well, we had to arrive at work at 5:30 a.m. -- with a straitlaced sports editor boss who was a stickler for promptness. So we'd go home, detox for maybe 30 minutes, take a shower and head to the newsroom. I never arrived late and don't remember any of my fellow barflies doing so, although I can't say our sports section was very good on those occasions. To this day, I don't think the sports editor (who I still stay in touch with) realizes what was going on.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My last paper...the bar next door basically stayed open because of the lot of us. In fact, it shut down when the crew I was a part of, split off and all moved on to new jobs.
    Many late hours of Euchre, SoCo shots, Coors Light and driving the town drunk home. I even met the main PxP TV guy for a NHL hockey team in that bar. Great times.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Well, they only let you stay because you knew me.

But, yeah, there were a lot of good times in that place. Went there the other night for pizza and didn't know a damned soul except the owner.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Back in my beer-drinking days, my best friend at the paper and I would retire to Nick's Ice House, on Hardy Street in Hattiesburg, a picture of which should be next to the words "dive bar" in the dictionary. During the day, it was a real ice house, and even at night you'd see the meth heads wandering in to buy dry ice.

This place had funk all over it. The bar stools were old commodes with pads attached, the men's restroom did not have indoor plumbing (they'd just fill a trough with buckets of ice, and we'd joke about going in to "melt cubes.") and all they sold were ice-cold longnecks at a buck-fifty a pop. At times, if there was still a decent crowd at 2 a.m. closing time, the bartender would just lock the door and keep the beers flowing. They even had a shed out in the back of the lot by the alley where you could go to bust up some weed, if you were so inclined. About the only things in the place that had any class at all were the pool tables and foosball tables. Those they kept in immaculate condition; everything else in the place was authentically trashy.

Draft saved Draft deleted