1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

...Of newspapers and dive bars

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Nov 12, 2015.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Here's a great look back at The Post Pub, which is a dive bar catty-corner to the soon-to-be-former Washington Post newsroom at 15th and L streets, where reporters, editors and pressmen could tie a load on, sometimes during work hours, when bartenders went out of their way to accommodate the necessary quick turnaround:

The Post Pub after The Washington Post: A dive bar bids goodbye to its namesake

Some of the greatest nights of my life were spent in dive bars with my newspaper friends, some of whom passed out for an hour or two in the newsroom parking lot before starting their delivery runs. I know it's a completely different world now, but it's weird that things like this are what I get wistful about, not any of the more substantive things I achieved in the business.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

J.J. Foley's was the bar a block from the Herald, and also in my time was a couple blocks from Boston police headquarters. A magnificent bar for serious drinking and lying and although the cops and the Herald have moved away, the Foley family has successfully transformed the place into a more upscale pub for a more upscale neighborhood.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Back in my day, at a much smaller daily in a much smaller town, there weren't many places open after deadline on the nights I worked the desk. I finally got in the habit of having a beer or two at this dinky little strip club that was a block or two away from the paper (and on the way home).

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Getting to Kenny's or Chuck's (at the Civic Center) for last call was a primary objective after a game or desk shift in Hartford. I've probably told this story before, but I covered a great Davis Cup match between John McEnroe and Boris Becker in July 1987 at the Civic Center. It began at 4:30 in the afternoon and didn't end until 11:15 pm. The concession stands ran out of food. Around 9 pm, I called and explained our predicament to the bartender at Chuck's, Jim, who sent in a big bag of hamburgers and fries for the media. Becker defeated McEnroe 4-6, 15-13, 8-10, 6-2, 6-2. We used to refer to Kenny's as a "Kenny's Restaura" because the "n" and the "t" from the neon sign never worked once in the years I was there.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The bar we went to would let us stay until they were done cleaning up, usually around 4 a.m. It took about a half-hour for us to get there after a sports shift, but as long as we got there before last call, they'd keep the taps flowing. If we had remote capabilities back then, I'm sure we'd have fired up the laptop from the bar more than a few times.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

At my first shop there was a pool hall/bar across the parking lot that we'd retire to after seeing the next day's paper come off the press. I had some pool skills and would usually come home with $20-$30 cash, which was not insignificant considering my salary was $16k.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Pat's Idle Hour Lounge was the bar of choice for many folks at the Waco Tribune-Herald back in the day.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

One of my stops had a nearby watering hole and when the paper moved out of downtown, the watering hole stayed the same.

Bar closed at 2 and if you were a regular, they wouldn't make you leave as they cleaned up.

They also had pizza and would make pizzas until 1 or 1:30, so it was the destination after a night of desk work.

Another bar, just down the street, served until 5 a.m. and we'd stumble down there after we left the first place.

It was some good times.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I love visiting old bars, and I love reading about old bars.
    When I win lotto, or when I retire (whichever comes first)....I'm going to open a bar.
    Not a bar/bistro/pub and grille.....no...
    A fucking bar.
    With bar food like Hot Mamas.....pickled eggs.....pretzels.......chips......
    You won't come into my bar, and find a grilled Panini sammich with.......no......fuck that.
    BAR.
    With beer. And whisky.
    Anything more is too much for a BAR.

cjericho likes this.
  10. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Dunno, man. You said "sammich." It might be too late for you.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nonsense, poopy pants.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Don't forget the pickled toes.

Draft saved Draft deleted