1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of everything you've written, what prompted the angriest responses?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by tapintoamerica, Jun 24, 2008.

1. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I love it when the message board cyberidiots get a hold of something I've done. I love reading what they post.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Angered some fraternity members with a stereotypical, satirical column about partying and drug use.

3. Babs

Babs Member

So true. I often inject things I think are poking the bear, but the bear is unmoved.

It's always something I just take for granted that people go nuts about. I've stopped trying to figure it out for the most part.

The biggest firestorm I provoked was when I insinuated that a certain player was not a team player. He has a lot of fans apparently. More than he should given his talent level.

4. Worst reponse for me: (see other thread) I wrote a column saying Craig Biggio wasn't a Hall of Famer.

Worst response for co-worker: High school soccer (go figure) all-area team this year. Co-worker covers the biggest school in our area and the main school in the city. Always does the all-area soccer team. He calls the girls coach to let him know who made it and to set up photos. Coach is pissed players weren't named superlatives. He rips co-worker to shreds on multiple occasions and kept his players from going to photo shoot -- twice.

Not really response from readers, but one girls soccer coach made it pretty bad.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

That they are. I'm related to some. I hear them complain about their pay and benefits and I want to puke.

I've had a few of them, but the most memorable was when we changed our brief policy. We would run a brief a couple times over a few weeks if someone asked, but coaches began abusing the hell out of it so we made it one-and-done. The eruption was absurd. It ranged from angry phone calls to the publisher, to letters to the editor. Never could figure that one out.

6. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Off the top of my head, got an e-mail from a kid at one of our area high schools complaining because he didn't make our all-area team despite a trip to the state finals. His point was lost amid his complaints about our coverage of other teams at his school, when they "sucked" (his words). Oh, and then there was the fact he called me a piece of shit, too.
    I took quite a bit of glee in forwarding that e-mail to his AD and his father, whose e-mail I just happened to have. Good times.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Good stuff.
    My personal favorite is when somebody calls me "incompetant."

8. lono

lono Active Member

I got several death threats for a series I did on toxic waste and cancer in a suburban neighborhood.

But the angriest reaction I ever drew was for a throwaway story on some podunk 'burb that had won a federal grant for slum reclamation.

Several of the area residents were furious that I called it a slum - which is how it was legally categorized in the federal grant proposal - and I got called out and thrown under the bus by the borough council members.

Fuck 'em.

I told the truth and got the story right.

They just didn't like it, because "slum" was a non-P.C. word.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

People only get mad at two things...the truth and lies.

10. You're incompetent.

You're welcome. :)

11. You had Boots as a subscriber?
    wow

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Easy.

A piece on the current state of Bama football, how Bear was long gone and how the contemporary alum expectations were beyond absurd.

Let your imagination run wild.

You won't have gone low enough.

Draft saved Draft deleted