1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Of All The Sad Things That Have Happened at Yankee Stadium

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jun 3, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Except, of course, that the Yankees are pissing away regular season games while having The Great Joba stretch out his arm in the majors.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

1 game.

And you still haven't told me who you would have started in the game. Besides Alan Horne.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's more than one game, since Joba is starting on Sunday. The Yankees are conducting this experiment during the regular season. It's nonsensical. If the organization was so dead-set on Joba starting in 2008, why did they not have him strengthen his arm during the off-season and spring training? Why wait until the middle of May to announce the move?

4. Guy_Incognito

They didn't lose Sunday yet. They didn't want him to start all year, because he would throw too many innings. Mainstream writers, Verducci comes to mind, chart every year how the young guys who jump dramatically in IPs get hurt & regress. Only way to let him pitch all year without the spike is by starting him in the BP & shifting during the year. It's what the Twins did with Santana, and what the Yankees said they were going to do from day 1.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

For the first season, sure. If they start going 2-3 seasons missing the playoffs, there probably will be some empty seats. When the bar has been set so high, it tends to get disappointing, even if they were to win 88-90 games a year. See, late '90s Atlanta Braves for reference.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Even when he was a starter in the minors -- before the shift to the pen last summer -- Joba never threw more than 75 pitches in a game.
    He will not be an effective starter at any time this season and there's even a chance the yankees will screw his head up and ruin him for more than a year or two.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Well you should know since you have seen the mets ruin a bunch of young arms

8. Guy_Incognito

He's no Bill Pulsipher.

9. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Billy Martin is turning over in his grave, all this babying of Joba. He should pitch at least 15 complete games this season. Of course, Billy would have already taken a swing at Farnsworth by now, too. Which wouldn't be a bad thing, necessarily.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on, guy. how 'bout i don't know who i'd start, but i'd have about five choices of calling up some douche from AAA or AA if nobody else on the roster would do?

11. Guy_Incognito

But then don't complain that you lost the game. The only difference between what happened and Igawa starting is that they were still in the game when they went to the bullpen in the 3rd. If you want to start Geist - the guy you mean, he came in for Joba, and was OK. My biggest problem with Girardi is pulling him too soon - he's a starter, no reason he can't go 5 in relief as long as he's doing well.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey fucker, i'm a dodger fan. know who you're talking to before you start lecturing.

Draft saved Draft deleted