1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ODU Outrage or Overkill?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 24, 2015.

1. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My hunch is, none of those bros would have the stones to step off their porch to defend their actions.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

ODU president John R. Broderick in letter to students:

Dear Colleague:

I am outraged about the offensive message directed toward women that was visible for a time on 43rd Street. Our students, campus community and alumni have been offended.

While we constantly educate students, faculty and staff about sexual assault and sexual harassment, this incident confirms our collective efforts are still failing to register with some.

A young lady I talked to earlier today courageously described the true meaning of the hurt this caused. She thought seriously about going back home.

While perhaps a bunch of guys on SJ.com don't believe this rises to a serious level and was some kind of joke or a "stupid thing to do," I think it's fair to say the girl that Broderick describes here felt harassed. For good reason.

3. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They were frat guys. Internet sleuths traced it to some Sigma Nu brothers.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Well all right. Now the school might be able to get somewhere.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Banning males from ODU would be a good start.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Getting the frat boys disciplined would be a good start.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Bullshit half-measures.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

She should have gone home.

Someone should tell the young lady that there might be one or two more times in her life she encounters something she doesn't like. I hope the college president is there to comfort her then, as well. Or mommy.

9. Mr. Sunshine

Cran was just victimized.

10. [​IMG]

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

"Go home. We support it if the frat bros want to make jokes that make you feel like a sexual object who exists for their pleasure. And your mom, too." That's a lovely message to send to a 17-year-old girl.

12. Mr. Sunshine

Remember the Duggar parents. Fine line between protecting/educating and setting one up to be incapable of dealing with reality.

Draft saved Draft deleted