1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ODU Outrage or Overkill?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 24, 2015.

1. FWIW: Signs were posted at off-campus housing.

2. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

The university should ban off-campus housing.

Dick Whitman and JackReacher like this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Assholes and their parents have a way of expecting that their due process rights are protected, too. Put another way ... the process-as-punishment play is pretty expensive, and it's certainly not risk-free.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Yet, you couldn't for the life of you articulate what about it you find to be ridiculous.

Picture you and your wife driving your daughter to campus to begin freshmen orientation.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I did when I first clicked on this thread, which is why I said very early in it that it was a stupid thing to do and the president had every right to be pissed about the stunt. But unlike you, I don't feel victimized by every dumbass thing, nor do I feel the need to vilify every such thing I don't happen to agree with. You're the poster boy for the Knee-Jerk Outrage Machine. Your complete and utter lack of perspective is illustrated almost daily on this board. But, I'm not offended, and I believe you should retain your right to keep missing the forest for those annoying trees.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Suggesting that someone made to feel uncomfortable by such buffoonery is a victim of sexual harassment is ridiculous, cranberry.

Like you I am the father of a daughter in college. I get, and share, your disgust. But sexual harassment? Come on.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It's good to avoid having a sheep mentality. It's ruining the country.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Instead of feeling offended and victimized, you could perhaps turn it into a teachable moment for your daughter. Tell her that those are bad guys with bad intentions. Tell her how boys in college think and feel, and to look out for herself when around them. We were all in college once, and we know how college guys think. If any dad thinks he's going to go to the door and have a rational conversation with a frat kid over what he thinks is a hilarious joke, you're sadly mistaken.

You can't control how a frat guy thinks, but you can try to convince your daughter to make the right decisions, and this sign helps in that respect. Because let's face it. This is how frat guys feel. Making a sideshow of it only points it out before it's too late.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

To be fair, I never used the word "rational" when I mentioned going to the door to talk about it.

10. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Fair enough, but you're going to embarrass your daughter on her first day of college. I'm just saying you can try to talk to your daughter about what to expect, and the proof of your point is hanging from the frat house.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Meh. It won't be the first time I embarrass her and it won't be the last. I also wouldn't do it in front of her.

Gator likes this.
  12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Are these frat boys? Story only said they were off campus.

If they are frat boys I would think the university has much more leverage to drop the hammer.

Draft saved Draft deleted